Muzzleloader help

iceman05

Hey guys a few years back my o'l man bought me a bpi new frontier beartooth mag/scope combo .50 cal out of cabelas. As time went on I never used it and i decided to knock off the dust this year and give it a shot. My questions come after reading a few internet blogs saying that these were unsafe guns and have many misfires. I'm wondering if any one here has used one and what the max podwer would be im guessing 100 or should i scrap the gun and buy something new.Thanks in advance guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CVA Optima here too. Started out with Powerbelts and a Bushnell banner scope and it didn't shoot the very well. Swithed to a Leupold Vari X II and Hornady SST 45-250 bullets, 150 grains 777 powder and now I have a tack driver. Not sure if it was the bullets or the scope but that is what worked for me. Swab the barrel with a Bore Butter patch and then a dry patch between shots at the range gives me a ragged hole at 100 yards.

I have not heard anything about the gun that you have. but i have been only using my muzzy now for 5 or 6 years exclusively. I love it im shooting a thompson center omega, with laminate thumhole stock and a nikon omega scope, was shooting the t/c shockwave bullets until this year and have had AWESOME luck, almost every deer i shoot at is a dead deer. I use loose powder 777 @150 grains zero'ed at 100yds. And at 50 i may aim a little low, but i am confident at hitting deer anywhere from 20 to 250 yds. Ive taken 3 deer at 200 farthest has been 230yds yds ( havent missed one yet at a long range shot) and it still just blows right through them. i have done a lot of long range practice with the gun to find my drop amounts at different distances and where they line up on my bdc redicle. but average is around 9 or 10 inches at 200yds

But i will shoot 3-4 shots before cleaning. I have tried cleaning after every shot and every 3-4 shots at the range and it still shoots around 1" groups at 100yds either way and bullet loading isnt affected too much, although i know a few others who can only shoot one maybe 2 times before reloading is waaayyy to hard. My dad is ussing the black horn powder and found that you deffinitely can shoot more shoots through his gun and reloading doesnt get too hard as fast as using 777. but hunting i will shoot 3 shots or so before i clean it. ( depending on how long and weather outside lots of rain/snow i will clean more often)

This year i switched to the same bullets as miss-em the 250 grain sst's and soo far they have killed the deer we have shot with them but not sure if i like them as much as the t/c's yet going to shoot a few more into deer before i make my decision. have had awesome luck with the t/c shockwaves just dropping the deer right there, but that depends on where you hit them.. or it is shocking them more, thats is what i want to figure out.

but anyway to your question if you are afraid to shoot a gun dont do it. But i just did a quick read about the gun, and some people say they shoot well for them. and some people talk about the barrel issue. but bad news about one gun spreads fast compared to all the good ones out there. So hopefully someone else can chime in on this specific gun and give you more insight.