Heads up this weekend

The following statement was issued by the International Centre for Waterspout Research:

The Szilagyi Waterspout Index (SWI) is indicating a waterspout outbreak for the Great Lakes starting Friday and continuing into the weekend. What meteorologists call a "pipeline to the arctic" is setting up which is a continuous flow of cool air from northern Canada. This will result in very favorable conditions for waterspout formation. The first week of September is also the peak of waterspouts season. Details at http://www.icwr.ca/

If you're heading out, good luck putting some huge slobs in the boat and be safe! 8)

Note: They're also reporting gradual increased brightness during the day with gradual darkness approaching nighttime. So make sure to wear your sunglasses during the day & take them off at night. This is a courtesy warning from your friends at LOU

:P

Note: They're also reporting gradual increased brightness during the day with gradual darkness approaching nighttime. So make sure to wear your sunglasses during the day & take them off at night. This is a courtesy warning from your friends at LOU

:P

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't forget to wear you hats - Remember:- if it gets wet, it's rainning & if it blows off your head it's windy.

NEARSHORE MARINE FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

343 PM EDT FRI SEP 7 2012

FOR WATERS WITHIN FIVE NAUTICAL MILES OF SHORE

LOZ043-044-080200-

HAMLIN BEACH TO MEXICO BAY ALONG LAKE ONTARIO

INCLUDING IRONDEQUOIT BAY-

343 PM EDT FRI SEP 7 2012

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY

EVENING

TONIGHT

EAST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS BECOMING SOUTH 5 TO

15 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR

LESS.

SATURDAY

SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST AND

INCREASING TO 35 KNOT GALES IN THE AFTERNOON. SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 5 TO 8 FEET.

SATURDAY NIGHT

WEST GALES TO 35 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 10 TO

20 KNOTS OVERNIGHT. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EARLY...THEN A CHANCE

OF SHOWERS. WAVES 10 TO 13 FEET SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 7 FEET.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Ahhh I 'm heading out to 300fow in the 16er Saturday afternoon...live that life

I'm sure if you put in at 60FOW, you'll be in 300+FOW in no time. ;) Hopefully we'll be able to read about your adventure on LOU & not in the paper.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Finders Keepers was right. You should thank him for the warning. If you were around Saturday afternoon you would have seen what he was talking about. There are still a lot of areas without power. This is part of an article from this morning.

The unsettled weather, part of a cold front that crossed over the Eastern Seaboard, toppled trees and power lines and damaged buildings as it passed through. Wind gusts reached 70 mph in some places.

In New York City, videos taken by bystanders showed a funnel sucking up water, then sand, and then small pieces of buildings as the first tornado moved through the Breezy Point section of the Rockaway peninsula in Queens.

At the Breezy Point Surf Club, it ripped the roofs off rows of cabanas, scattered deck chairs and left a heavy metal barbecue and propane tank sitting in the middle of a softball field, at least 100 yards from any home.

"It picked up picnic benches. It picked up Dumpsters," said the club's general manager, Thomas Sullivan

Across New York state, in Buffalo, strong winds blew roofing off some buildings and sent bricks falling into the street. The city of Albany canceled the evening portion of an outdoor jazz festival because of the threat of storms.

With wind gusts reaching up to 60 mph, the storms moved into New England, flooding roads, toppling trees and snapping power lines.

For about three hours, the storm barraged western Massachusetts, western Connecticut and part of New Hampshire before tapering off near Rhode Island, but not before flooding roads in East Providence, the National Weather Service said

The NWS can suck it! I had clients from out of town call me on Friday and inquire about the weather for their scheduled trip for today.....I read them the near shore forecast and told them it was up to them to make the call.......Friday evening there was a " doom and Gloom" forecast of big waves as posted above. Trip was canceled

.....Hmmm....just went by the lake and it was totally fish able. NEVER AGAIN will I listen to a forecast. You would think I would know better by now....LOL.....

The NWS can suck it! I had clients from out of town call me on Friday and inquire about the weather for their scheduled trip for today.....I read them the near shore forecast and told them it was up to them to make the call.......Friday evening there was a " doom and Gloom" forecast of big waves as posted above. Trip was canceled

.....Hmmm....just went by the lake and it was totally fish able. NEVER AGAIN will I listen to a forecast. You would think I would know better by now....LOL.....

yes very frustrating!! :@ I would not go near that lake unless winds are SW or S with my little boat . There is always a calm day to pick later if conditions look borderline. You have to treat the fingers the same with a smaller sled. I trailered to Cayuga with my son on this past father's day thinking a 10-15 sw was gonna be ok..the lake looked like a raging ocean..over to Owasco we went and conditions were borderline but we got out for 2 hours.

And what about the T storms and rain that could shorten a trip not just the wind and waves!!

it's time to get hangin stands anyway :yes:

Well Raven.....guy driving 8 hrs Plus ......how pissed would you be spending all that money on fuel, hotel, and what not just to sit at the dock watching the waves crash over the pier heads? That is a lot of money to dish out for nothing.....that's ok we rescheduled.......lol

You bet your rear end that I will never ever listen to the forecast again...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The NWS can suck it! NEVER AGAIN will I listen to a forecast. You would think I would know better by now....LOL.....
Any and all cancellations should be made by the Captain...at scheduled DEPARTURE TIME. ;)

It's just good business. 8)

Keeping out of town clients from spending hundreds of dollars in hotels, food and gas to only show up the next morning with the trip being cancelled (after the slam dunk forecast) is better business. 8)

Well Raven.....guy driving 8 hrs Plus ......how pissed would you be spending all that money on fuel, hotel, and what not just to sit at the dock watching the waves crash over the pier heads? That is a lot of money to dish out for nothing.....that's ok we rescheduled.......lol

You bet your rear end that I will never ever listen to the forecast again...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Oh, I know..it's a double edged sword!

I personally just had a walleye trip I booked as a client aboard Vision Quest out of Erie PA. for TODAY.....cancelled by Capt. Pete on Friday... ;(;(;(

We could have fished today... :lol::lol:

I appreciate Capt. Pete thinking of "saving" us a wasted trip out there for nothing...

But then again, we already planned on spending "x" amount of $$$ and time on Hotels, food, alternate entertainment, etc, etc while out there anyway....

So, if the wind blew today, we would have been $750 ahead of the game anyway? ;) We would have rescheduled another trip for next year whether or not we fished this year.

I'm sure as a group we could have found something else to do around the area if we had been blown off this morning!

Instead I'm sitting home, when I could be out having fun with my friends on a road trip! :beer:8)

The Wayne County Storm Trackers reported, tracked, and photographed numerous waterspouts off-shore of Wayne County this morning:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Storm- ... 8011776436

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2759115.shtml?cat=566

One held together and came ashore between Port Bay and Fair Haven but created no damage as it sheared apart:

9-9-12waterspout-1.jpg

9-9-12waterspout-2.jpg

We suspect there may have been some off Monroe County, but there has been a lack in response to our call for support in that area. So we are opening it up to any fishing craft that frequents Lake Ontario waters and would like to become part of our on-water/near-water spotting network. Our #1 goal is public safety and relaying information to save life & property. Drop me a PM if interested. 8)

The Wayne County Storm Trackers reported, tracked, and photographed numerous waterspouts off-shore of Wayne County this morning:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Storm- ... 8011776436

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2759115.shtml?cat=566

One held together and came ashore between Port Bay and Fair Haven but created no damage as it sheared apart:

9-9-12waterspout-1.jpg

9-9-12waterspout-2.jpg

We suspect there may have been some off Monroe County, but there has been a lack in response to our call for support in that area. So we are opening it up to any fishing craft that frequents Lake Ontario waters and would like to become part of our on-water/near-water spotting network. Our #1 goal is public safety and relaying information to save life & property. Drop me a PM if interested. 8)

8) I like watching them form...from a distance! Thought one was trying this morning in Mexico Bay, went down in cabin to grab camera, when I came back up, a rod fired, by the time we landed the fish, The spout was gone, or never formed at all?