Plan of attack

Sweitz

Hey everyone, just looking for some advice on what I should be running on my boat. I use to downrigger alot when I was younger but I am now getting back into it with my little boat and hopefully someday I can upgrade, but for now this is what I have. 16' aluminum with a 30 hp suzuki on the back(which trolls very nice), and two manual walker downriggers. When I am out by myself I have been running a white with green spots spindoctor with a flie and I have been experimenting with the other rod running a fire tiger J-11 or a Michigan Stinger Froggie color.

The Spin Doctor I have been running around mid depth hoping for salmon, and I have been hugging the other downrigger 5 feet from bottom looking for lakers. I have had a few trips out with no success so far. I think one mistake I have been making is running north to south following the gradual bottom, probably I should be finding say 100 feet and running east to west along 100 feet and if nothing go to 80 and run along that east to west or whatever it may be. Also, I have been trolling anywhere from 0.8 to 2.8.

I have about a two foot flouro leader with bearing swivels. The flie I got out of the package I just used the line it came with which looks to be only 14 inches or so, so I am guessing from reading some of the other posts, I should tie it up with some new flouro line?

When I am by myself, should I have a more aggressive approach and run lake trollers with a spoon or wobbler on the back to get alot more flash down there? when I have a buddy with me I was thinking get the riggers set up and on the other two rods run dipseys or even planer boards. I have been reading about this copper line you need to run dipseys, sorry but this is my first couple months getting back into it after twenty years, amazing how ANYTHING changes when you havent done it for so long so please explain terminology as well!! LOL, thanks guys for reading and your opinions in advance!!!

Sweitz, aka Black Bomber :beer::beer::beer:

Well I am no pro but the spin dr. is a good color from what I have used and caught fish. I like to run the same depth unless I am not getting a hit then work out deeper. What color flies are you running and where are you fishing location wise? If you look at the south or north shore reports a lot of them say depth of catch and the producing lure for the day. Sounds like you have a good start just need some fine tuning.

The biggest thing you have to do is clue us in on is the location you are going out of...

Thanks Pete, Absolutely crossed my mind to do that in the spring, but I like to give things a try and sometimes learnining from your mistakes is a good thing. While I am trying to figure out the fall fish, thought I would ask for some advice to hopefully get me a couple fish and put a smile on my sons face....Cheers!!! :beer::beer::beer:

Also keep in mind you don't want to much going on with a smaller boat.Like most people on here say "less is more with salmon".I know for me its a full time job keeping the boat straight, especially with a motor you steer from the back. The dipsys seem to produce the most fish for me but it does depend on the day.If I were you,I would check into getting a wire dipsy setup and see how you like it. :yes:

Flying solo, keep it simple. One thing to try: 1 rigg'r w/ flasher and fairly short lead. 2nd rigger w/ clean spoon about 7-12 deeper and 15-20ft farther back. Change depth as a pair, as if both lines on the same rigg'r.

Try trolling, rather than parrallel or perpendicular but at an angle to the depth gradient. Also slight zig-zag to your path. To find the speed, rather than play with the trottle - set your speed at say 2.5 & zig-zag and watch you cable angle. Figure that on the inside of the turn, your lure slowed down AND it went a couple feet deeper. Outside rigg'r speeded up & came up.

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for the advice guys, couple things I can try next time out. Ill buy a rod and make it a wire dipsey set-up. From the reading I have been doing they sound pretty effective. Ill stick with keeping it simple but a little more versatile and see how she goes. I just love getting the boat out again and getting back into downriggin, forgot how much fun this type of fishing is and all the different things to try nowadays, pretty neat.

• 5 weeks later...

You dont need copper with dispys. Copper is ran as a flat line pulling a spoon or flasher/fly combo. The weight of the copper line alone deopending on the amount out and speed can reach depths of around 100'. On my boat dipsys are a necessity. They acount for about 60% of the fish compared to the riggers. The wire your probably hearing about being run on the dipsy rods is generally 7 strand stainless steel. It is used becaus it doesnt stretch like mono does and cuts through the fleas easier. Some people run braid to eliminate the stretch but it seems like the fleas pile up on it alot easier and in greater quantity.

In my own opinion for your setup i would run your riggers as you do but with spoons and i would run the dispys off the sides with on a 2 or 3 setting with flasher fly combos so they're out away from everything. Any more than 4 rods on that size boat your asking for trouble.

Good Luck and post reports and questions! This is a great community and everyone on here is willing to share.

Thanks for the advice. I bought a dipsey rod already but with braid, I need one more so ill set it up as you suggested and I can test them both out and see what I prefer. Been hard for me to get out lately with the kids and sports, but once i get some results ill post them for people just starting up like me. ive already learned alot reading other posts and stuff, thanks guys.... :beer: