Trouble with Humminbird 788ci

tpeters

I purchased a used boat this spring with a humminbird 788ci. The unit worked flawlessly for over a dozen previous trips. Today we were out in some nasty 4 and 5 footers and suddenly while fishing in 130 FOW the unit started reading between 1 and 4 FOW. every once in a while it would correct itself and read the correct depth only to act up again shortly later. We pulled the boat and checked the transducer. It was tight in the mount, level and the cable looked fine. Any ideas? Can really rough seas effect the readout? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could the transducer have been coming out of the water due to the waves? If not, it could have just had a hard time interpreting due to potential airation of the water from wave action and whitecaps etc, SO...try turning up the sensitivity, ck that the surface clutter is not turned way down (turn to a higher number). If the filter setting is in use, turn to a lower level of fliter, and lastly, ck and see if you are running the latest version of the software (by registering the unit on the humminbird support page and ck what it says for your unit vs. what it says on the screen of the unit during startup).

There were some issues with depth reading on the early versions of the software (mostly shallow water though) along with other fixes and upgrades, so I would update the software to the latest version regardless, if the previous owner didn't keep up. Be sure to restore factory defaults before the update ;) dont worry, it will retain your waypoints

Ping me if you're not sure how to update and I can explain further

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Could the transducer have been coming out of the water due to the waves? If not, it could have just had a hard time interpreting due to potential airation of the water from wave action and whitecaps etc, SO...try turning up the sensitivity, ck that the surface clutter is not turned way down (turn to a higher number). If the filter setting is in use, turn to a lower level of fliter, and lastly, ck and see if you are running the latest version of the software (by registering the unit on the humminbird support page and ck what it says for your unit vs. what it says on the screen of the unit during startup).

There were some issues with depth reading on the early versions of the software (mostly shallow water though) along with other fixes and upgrades, so I would update the software to the latest version regardless, if the previous owner didn't keep up. Be sure to restore factory defaults before the update ;) dont worry, it will retain your waypoints

Ping me if you're not sure how to update and I can explain further

Thanks for you response. The transducer certainly could have been coming out of the water. It was very rough. If that were the problem however I would think that it should reset to the correct depth once it was back in the water, which it did not do. Airation is a possibility, the lake was stirred up really badly. As I'm a weekend warrior I'll have to wait a few days before I can drop it back in under more reasonable conditions to see if the problem resolves. In the meantime I'll have to check and see which software version it is running. I know I've never updated it since I purchased the boat the boat this spring. I've never had an issue with an incorrect depth reading as far as I know either shallow or deep so it is somewhat puzzling why it started all of the sudden.

Bird did have alot of transducer issues with 700 series units it could have gone bad, I HIGHLY doubt rough water had anything to do with it even in the roughest of waters the unit would only show a lumpy bottom not loose depth completely which is sounds like it's doing.

Bird should be good about getting you a new one, I would contact them if it's still doing it, the mounting system on those units leaves alot to be desired as well, your ducer cable could have wiggled loose in the rough water as well, make sure ALL connections are good too.

K, I totally agree about the ducer going bad. My suggestions are for a first pass in troubleshooting only. if the setting are wrong (particularly multiple filters running together), it can hamper the units ability to interpret the returns (I'm assuming that it was still showing the bottom, just giving an incorrect depth reading), particularly in suboptimal conditions. If my suggestions above don't help or if its not showing ANY returns, I'd be looking at the 'ducer as well. Good luck.

Bird did have alot of transducer issues with 700 series units it could have gone bad, I HIGHLY doubt rough water had anything to do with it even in the roughest of waters the unit would only show a lumpy bottom not loose depth completely which is sounds like it's doing.

Bird should be good about getting you a new one, I would contact them if it's still doing it, the mounting system on those units leaves alot to be desired as well, your ducer cable could have wiggled loose in the rough water as well, make sure ALL connections are good too.

Went through the same issue with mine. Sent the unit back to HB and they told me it was my wiring. NO IT WAS NOT! They sent a new transducer and I loved my unit again. Two weeks later. JUNK. I contacted HB again, they told me their transducers dont go bad! I said I am telling you, it is weak and not working properly. They did nothing for me! NOTHING. Bought the unit brand new from them. I sold the unit on LOU for less than half what I paid. I get a email about two months after asking If I still had the unit because of a recall on the transducers...

POOR customer service IMHO. I have nothing against them but I will never do business with again.

Sorry for venting. I loved the unit when it worked. The colors, the accuracy.. But It all came down to the support I deserved and did not get..

Nick

LB...it sucks you had those issues, but I hope you didn't switch to Lowrance and if so, I certainly hope you don't have an issue. there are on the order of 10x+ more people switching to 'bird than the reverse due to cust svc issues. Not trying to be flip, but if you can believe it, they did a lot more to help you than would be expected from the competitor. Sucks the way it played out for you, but it impresses me that they recontacted you after the fact to try to resolve the issue when they determined there were indeed issues with the ducer.

I have the quad beam and it has been great the past few years. If looking at a new ducer anyway, its a nice upgrade

I think that was the first step for me when my transducer went bad the the color just started ropping off, if they replace it for you keep from opening it and contact them to upgrade too the quad beam. I think they will and the charge would (if any ) be well worth it................ but if I ever have to buy one again it will not be thru HB , not crazy about there 83/200 ...........anyway the latest update for that unit is

788ci Combo (Version 6.300)

Release Date: 04/23/2012

when you first turn your unit on it shows what version you have in it at the time.................. I still have issue some times but just turning unit off and back on has taken care of them............

Yup. They have a great exchange program. If the ducer is unused, they will swap it for the quad. Think the difference was like 40 bucks if that.

On a side note - Erabbit, were you able to do the software upgrade to 6.3? When I had tried it gave me an error msg each time. Thought maybe its DI applicable only. Might have to call HB one of these days...

On a side note - Erabbit, were you able to do the software upgrade to 6.3? When I had tried it gave me an error msg each time. Thought maybe its DI applicable only. Might have to call HB one of these days...

Boy glad this post came up..............I was sure I had it done but when I went out to check 5.40 showed not 6.3............. then I checked the other unit that the replaced the bad repair job on my other 788ci with a 798 HD SI and it was right ( differnt update for that unit ) sooooooooooooo I went back out checked the site out ( Hum B ) put a SD card in my puter and downloaded the new version , went out to boat set it back to factory setting and went to update.........the sencond RED screen that came up with ABORT it all came back to me then .........you have to press NO and it will then update.........is this what also threw you ?????? I was doing the two units that day and must of done the 798 right and hit YES on the 788ci and ABORTED the update....... :lol::(;)

FURUNO.... Just Saying.. :lol:

I currently have a LOWRANCE unit, lcx20... It is okay, but has a hard time showing the arcs like I want it too. Spoke with Lowrance, they figure its a transducer issue. I will be saving the lowrance for the gps and backup finder, but purchasing a FURUNO this winter..

Nick

Thanks for all of the responses. I wasn't trying to turn this into a Humminbird vs. Lowrance, vs........etc. I was simply trying to see if anyone experienced the same or similar issue to mine and what they did to resolve it. I'm actually very happy the unit, or at least I was right up until I had this issue. I did contact Humminbird CS and they were very nice over the phone and seemed genuinely interested in helping. They recommended some of the same things mentioned in the posts here, ie; check the positioning of the transducer, check for any damage to the transducer and cable. They recommended that I reset the unit to the factory default and try it again, which I will do this weekend. Hopefully it will resolve and I can get the unit functioning as well as I know it's capable of.

More than likely its the ducer... They told me that same stuff... Good luck. I loved the unit too, just was unhappy with the outcome... A friends unit just went as well three yrs old. They told him it was time for a new unit because it was old... Ick, uck, tuck.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I followed the Humminbird Rep's. instructions and reset the unit to factory defaults and upon dropping the boat back in the water I was back in business picking up fish out of the weeds and mud in 130 - 150 FOW. Don't know what caused it to act up the last trip out but I'm just glad the unit is functioning as good as before the issue. Thanks for all of your suggestions and responses.

Called Humminbird tech support and pressed pretty hard to get some solid info. They admit that some of the first transducers had a problem and were willing to give me another if I sent my old one to them for an examination and it proved to be a bad one. I told them I was in the best part of the fishing season and I needed another option. The tech then talked to his boss, and if I was able to give them the transducer serial #, based on that alone they would send me a new one if the number indicated that I had a bad one. The tranducer is in the water and I will not be able to get at it untill the fall fishing is over anyway, so I will wait to send it in this winter. It was then recommended that I upgrade my 2 year old software, which I did without a problem, and things work better all around, for sure. I had one epoisode with bad bottom read for a few minutes today, but it soon got back to normal...normal is a very fine piece of equipment. It works great, and is probably as good as my Furuno, generally. I have the side scan transducer and when you restore factory defaults it automatically choses "side-scan" which it would not do before I upgraded. That may have been part of my problem. Magically, I now have surface temp available again, which went away soon after initial install. I am in the software development business so I have some understanding of how an upgrade can help. My guess is that they had both a hardware and software problem, and the software upgrade addressed some of the issues, but I may still have a flawed tranducer. I also learned that there is a "high-speed" transducer that connects into the system and is a shoot through the hull version (glued with epoxy inside the hull) that allows looking for fish at speed, which is not very useful with a transom mount due to turbulence. It is less than $100 and I will install one for next season.

To sum it up....some bad tranducers out there for sure and software upgrade is important and very easy to do.

When you add the shoot through, make sure you get the Y Cable rather than a transducer switch ;)

Love the updates :yes: Not only do they provide better performance and fix potential issues, but often they include additional functions that weren't even available on the units prior to the upgrade. A+ in by book. The gift that keeps on giving! :lol:

PS: AC, glad you got it worked out, but kinda dissapointed too...I smelled a deal on that sweet 1198 :lol: :lol:

Had a transducer fail 2 years ago, it would go right to simulate mode. Called HB, nice lady confirmed that it was a transducer issue and promptly replaced it free of charge even though this unit was out of warranty Only issue I ever had. Hope you get things sorted out.