Looking for salmon,out of Clayton

My soon to be, son in law is home from Afghanistan never been salmon fishing. I d like to get him on a few fish. Whats your advise? My boat with downriggers is in the water at Clayton. I can pull and trailer. I am not much of a salmon fishermen so I would really like some ideas not asking for top secrets but some starting points.

Thanks guys

Irish Buoy

Never been to clayton but I would recommend wire dipsys with spin doctors and flies... They always seem to produce for me on the big lake. If you go for a little while with no action change lures, speed and your depths. Find the bait fish and you should be golden! Goodluck out there. :yes:

If I were you, I'd trailer my boat to Sackets Harbor or Henderson Harbor if you are looking for Salmon right now. Due to family medical problems, I haven't been there this year but I've been seeing good reports from there. I know Kings have been in the trench for a while. I'd think you would find them somewhere there. Look for boats. I'd think they would still be in the trench but it is getting to the time when they could be near or in the Black River bay. Run flasher/fly combos off your riggers. Dipsys are ok if there's not much boat traffic but if boats are thick in there, you're asking for trouble with dipsys.

Good luck and thank your soon to be son-in-law for his service!