Hot Lure:flasher fly

Trolling Speed:2.5

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:70-92

Lure Depth:60-85

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Screen was very spotty,really my first time after salmon on the lake,had the lures about 30' behind the balls,do they need to be farther back?and any other pointers welcome,saw about 6 other boats catch fish but spotty,thanks Giz

Giz,

We were also out in Mexico Bay on 9/7 evening. We went 6-10 Just 2 people on board so we hit our limit. It is awesome to hear it was your first trip out trolling lake O for Salmon, it is so much fun. We started just last year. Before we got started we took a couple of trips not on a charter but on a buddys boat who had been fishing the lake for a little while. He is a driftboat guide on the River so he knows a lot of people in the fishing circle he most often fishes on his boat with several of his buddies who first mate on some Charter boats. If you can get out with someone who has done it before. and spend a lot of time taking notes and observing you'll be able to run your own spread flawlessly. If you have to, hire a captain and take a charter out and watch what is happening very closely. As far as how far back to run your lures behind the rigger balls it really depends on what you are using for lures. Flasher Flies we generally run 20-30 feet behind the ball (sometimes even shorter). except on our probe rigger we run that behind the ball 40'. If you are dragging spoons as opposed to flasher flies you would probably want a bit longer lead. I would say 50' minimum. We had a hookup on a spoon on 9/7 that was 100' behind the ball. Of course if you have a dozen people answer your question here you will probably get a dozen different answers. Experiment and find out what wrks best for you. On Friday we found tons of fish in about 95 feet of water and we were running our gear between 60 and 80 feet down. we had hookups on everything we ran wire, copper, and riggers. What I have found over the last 2 years is that if you are running ff(flasher flies) all you need is chrome, white or green flashers with some mountain dew mixed in there with a handful of Atommik flies that we have found work the best. Green Crinkle, Mirage, Sweet Pea, Crazy ****, Big Fin, Pro-AM, and any of the hammer flies (green hammer, hammer, and glow hammer) We have caught fish with other colors and patterns but those work the best for us. Good Electronics make a world of difference too. We aadded a Lowrance HDS 5 last year as well as a MOOR Sub Troll 900 and it has made a huge difference. In the Summer months that Moor really helps find the temps. (less important now) Our boat is a 2001 so the electronics that came with the boat were OK (great in 2001) the new stuff with the lake insight and the quality display rock. We fish on a 20' Starcraft Fishmaster so it is not a huge hard top boat like a lot of these guys have but we can still run 4 riggers, 3 dippys, and 2 coppers off of that beast with out too much issue just watch those turns. Also last year I joined ELOTSA Which stands for Eastern Lake Ontario Trout and Salmon Association. (Maybe it's ELOSTA) I cant remember. But they have been helpful also. They meet once a month and usually they have a speaker talk about a particular fishing technique that they use. We have learned a lot there. Started using Torpedos this year based on a talk there, much success too. I hope some of this helps. But enjoy yourself out there don't let a sunking get you frustrated it doesn't happen often. I think only twice to us in 2 years. And if that gets you down just wait Brown season is coming soon and the big lake can produce some rediculous Brown Trout fishing excursions. One day we went 56-67. With a 15lber being the biggest if that doesn't get you jacked up you better check your pulse.

Tight Lines

You hit the nail on the head with all that info. I have only just started fishing Lake O last year and there have been pleanty of people to help out and had great success!

The best time is when I took my dad out last week and he hooked into his first King. Priceless! I enjoyed watching him more than catching myself.

I have been using mostly white and green spot SD with white Atomic flies in the early AM and Crome with green spots in the mid day. Had some luck with blue flies and blue whale mags too. If you see the fish stacked below the boat and they are not hitting, boat speed, direction, depth, and the distance from your ball are factors to pay attention too. byoung62 has good info to help. I have done the same and had great time out there.

We you hit your first 30#er you're going to remember what to do.

thanks for the info,maybe just not out deep enough,I'll keep trying when I can get there,I fished the browns this spring but never hit them real good,just a couple at a time,but my goal is to catch a salmon out in the lake!!used to man handle them in the river 30 years ago snagging,but need to get one in the lake.Thanks again for the help, Giz

"If you see the fish stacked below the boat and they are not hitting, boat speed, direction, depth, and the distance from your ball are factors to pay attention too". :yes: Agreed! Just remember, if what you are doing....IS NOT WORKING...change it! ;)

Sounds like great advice. I'd also add don't be afraid to change things up if your program is not working ( patients isn't what it's cracked up to be in fishing). Experiment with lead lengths, color, speed, lures ect and pay attention to details. If you catch one using a certain technique duplicate that technique with a second rig. If you develop a pattern change most everything up to that pattern. If things go dead start experimenting again. Every day can be different and things can change throughout the day.

Thanks for everyones advice,been reading a lot on what everyone is using,how to,depths and colors and I should get there,thanks again and what a great web site and the people who belong. Giz

Try shorter leads as well. As short as 8' sometimes. Also, try putting out a J-plug or two Green Glow/black ladderback is my go to. Sometimes we only catch on wire line dispseys and others only on riggers. As always, have to be in the right place at the right time. Good Luck.