Simrad Ap14R

Jax

Anyone ever install one of these units?

It seems pretty self explanatory but would like someone to go to for questions.

I just got the unit the other day and after reading the installation instructions I think I have to get a new steering cable? I have the old rack and pinion set up on my steering console. I would appreciate any tips or tricks to help make the installation a breeze.

Thanks guys

I installed one on my Thompson in 2006 also had the R&P steering so I had to replace the cable.

All in all it was a piece of cake, the worst part of replaceing tha cable on my boat was the fact that I had all of my electronics wires wire tied to the old cable so I had to cut all those wire ties. :D

You really do need at least 10" of space behind the dash for the new AP Helm assembly to fit.

I have it tied into the GPS with the NMEA wire and boy is that a nice feature, punch in a waypoint on the GPS turn on the AP and hit the nav button and it'll take you to that waypoint.

I don't know how I ever lived without it, you're gonna love it.

Not sure what kind of tips I can give you, it's really straight forward. Did you have to get a new bezel assembly to mount it in your dash? I did and ended up getting it right from Simrad as it wasn't available anywhere else.

Make sure you use a regular compass and very carefully check to make sure there is no electrical interference where you want to mount the fluxgate compass. I had to mount mine on a front to back bulkhead and tell the unit it was rotated 90 deg when it was initially started and calibrated. No problems with that though.

tim

Tim,

Did you need to do the circle thing in the water to calibrate the compass.

I tried several times but the dam thing tells me I'm turning to tight and without making any adjustments it tells me I'm turnng to slow. Keeps going back and forth without making any adjustments to the steering. Has worked fine all season without completeing that procedure but I haven't hooked up the NMEA yet.

Glen

...if I can install one, anybody probably can! Tim covered it, the cable is a pain to replace if you have R&P but, not that difficult. Got the cable off Ebay.

I also had to do the 90degree rotate but, its been great. No issues.

Tim,

Did you need to do the circle thing in the water to calibrate the compass.

I tried several times but the dam thing tells me I'm turning to tight and without making any adjustments it tells me I'm turnng to slow. Keeps going back and forth without making any adjustments to the steering. Has worked fine all season without completeing that procedure but I haven't hooked up the NMEA yet.

Glen

Glen,

Don't know if I needed to. I did it anyways and it calibrated just fine for me.

Regarding hooking up the NMEA, make sure you have the settings correct on the GPS or the GPS won't talk to it..... ask me how I know :$:lol:

Tim

It sounds like you guys are pretty happy with the Simrad. I'll be picking up an autopilot in the spring, but I was actually leaning towards the Raymarine S1000. Should I reconsider, and is there a specific reason you went with the Simrad instead?

Thanks,

Rod

Rod, I had a Ray Sportpilot+ that never worked right, I had seen many reports of people that were totally thrilled with their Simrads, so that's what I went with. Actually, I don't think I ever saw a negative comment made on the simrad.

The S1000 is for hydraulic steering isn't it?

Tim

One day and all these responses! Thanks guys

Tim - Im lookin on ebay for my new cable now hopefully can score it for cheap. Do I need just a regular oem cable? If I have any problems hooking it up to my nmea I will let you know for sure. If you want to help in a week or two let me know I should have the cable by then. I will pay for beer and pizza...?

This unit I have researched forever and finally went with it! As soon as I get my new cable I will install and post a report when im done. The directions look pretty straight forward. Hopefully there wont be any surprises.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Tim. It sounds like I need to look into the Simrad.

Yes, the Raymarine S1000 is for hydraulic steering. The steering in my boat has been converted over to Sea Star hydraulic. I don't know if that complicates installation, or makes it easier?

Rod

It makes it a lot easier, Rod. When I installed the S1000 on my Baha, I spent 80% of the time installing the hydraulic steering, and only 20% installing the autopilot. If you already have the Sea Star installed it should be a piece of cake. Good luck.

-Steve D