Jump to content

Yank @ the Oak 9/7-9/9

Recommended Posts

September 7th - After a productive evening trip the anticipation of a great morning bite was easily expected. However, when we got out there other than a few quick fish the bite just wasn’t there. After a few hours it was time to point her a little bit North and look elsewhere for the bites.

We pushed it North and found some fish to play on the 25N line. We ran a simple spread consisting of our three Cannon downriggers, two wires, and two coppers. Flasher/Fly combos were on almost everything with a Moonshine Shelly Snack in the mix. Through out the day we changed up combos, but the Stinger Hammertime E-Chip with an A-TOM-MIK B-Fly was good on the diver for most of the day. Another good combo was a Dreamweaver Hammertime Spin Doctor with an A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hammer fly.

On the 25N line we found a King or two and also took a few Steelies. We ended up getting the bites we needed, but as always a few found a way to evade us.



September 8th - We hit the water with a brand new group about 6:30am after watching a line of thunder storms roll through. We started in 40’ of water and the screen was pretty good. We worked 40-60’ of water for about 3 hours until we rushed off the water because of Strong winds rolling down the Lake.

We ran a pair of 5 colors off our boards with Lymans, our three Cannon downriggers, and two divers. The Lymans on the 5 colors were our MVPs of the morning. We went on to take 8 shots, but would only be able to put 3 in the box. Other baits that went were an 11†Stinger Hammertime E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK B-Fly, and a Dreamweaver Hammertime Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Blue Glow Hammer. Both fished on our riggers, and kept 5-10’ off the bottom.

The rest of the day was spent at the dock organizing tackle as the wind howled out of the NW. It also gave us some time to catch up with friends we talk to on the water, but don’t get a lot of time to hang out with.



September 9th - Well, we awoke to light winds, but still could hear waves crashing from the NW blow on Saturday. We gathered up the guys and hit the water early looking to make up for lost time from the previous day.

We set down in 40’ of water and found what we expected, and that was warm water. We trolled it out to 110, and still had 70 degree water to the bottom. At 120 we started to see them laying on the bottom, and worked that area for a few hours. We deployed our Cannon downriggers, two wires, and two coppers (400 & 500).

We stayed in there for a few hours, but it was only good for one shot on a 500 copper pulling a Moonshine Carbon 14. We made the decision to point it North and look elsewhere. We found some nice Steelies on the 25N line and worked them for a few hours. They were eating our Moonshine Carbon 14’s on our 500 coppers, and some Dreamweaver Sea Sick Waddlers on our deep rigger. After hooking into about 8 of those we decided they weren’t much fun compared to the Kings inside, and made a troll South to see if they started to eat yet.

When we got back in there we could see the Kings were holding a little higher in the water column, and the fish came almost instantly. The bites were coming about every 20 minutes, and the Moonshine Carbon 14 was still working on the 500 copper. Another bait that was going consistently was an 11†Chrome E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly 10’ off the bottom.

We finished strong after a slow start. Those inside fish are getting fussy. You need to stick them out and they will eventually eat. The early afternoons have been good, so it wasn’t a shocker we had them going from 1-3:30pm when we picked up.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...