respooling -- what is the best line type?

I am going to respool my downrigger and non-stretch reels.

I have 20 lb mono for the riggers, and ~20 lb dacron or ripcord (Cabelas) on the no-stretch/dipsey reels.

In addition to Lake Ontario, I also fish Erie for walleye, so I prefer line that will work for both.

I've had more breakoffs than usual this year...going out for opinions before I buy...

What weight, type, and what brand lines do you like best?

Would you use mono or a full spool of flurorcarbon on the dipsey rods?

I think I've decided on Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon for the leaders. (20lb for salmon)

mark

We run a line that's not common on the Great Lakes, but it is such a great fishing line. We have had numerous opportunities to get discounts on other lines, and some of them for free, but McCoy Fishing Line is such a great line and we have so much confidence in it that we wont stop using it. We run the 25lb Mean Green on all our mono reels. When we are fishing spoons we will leader down to 15lb McCoy Flouro, and when it's paddles we use 20lb McCoy Flouro. The line isn't cheap, but I promise you it wont let you down. Especially, if you are anal about checking your line and leaders for bad spots.

http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=94 I like the P-line good knot strength and very reasonable...im on my 5th or 6 th year (keep out of sun all line) ..check yer knots with a 10 lb rigger weight sometimes the slightest misswrap will make a hudge diff,, with 15 lb i can sorta bounce a 10 lb weight (gently)...i use the same in salt water with no ill effects ..I see no reason to change anytime soon (respool) I use 15lb on lures and 20 sometimes 15 on spinnies ....with Blacks releases..

http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=94 I like the P-line good knot strength and very reasonable...im on my 5th or 6 th year (keep out of sun all line) ..check yer knots with a 10 lb rigger weight sometimes the slightest misswrap will make a hudge diff,, with 15 lb i can sorta bounce a 10 lb weight (gently)...i use the same in salt water with no ill effects ..I see no reason to change anytime soon (respool) I use 15lb on lures and 20 sometimes 15 on spinnies ....with Blacks release

PS i tie a 100ft section of 20lb flea flicker from mainline to leader for flea season..

i use mccoy on my noodle rod for stream fishing...really like it. how is it with the fleas?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

It's funny you ask. We have been running it for a while, and when people are complaining about fleas we have little to no issues with the 25lb test McCoy. I have a few friends using it and they see similar results.

From my limited experience, I can tell you that I prefer big game 20# and 30# for riggers. For board lines I use 30# power pro with 12# trilene floro. I think I can count all the fish that we broke off (rigger rods) this year on one hand and that includes fish that ran and wrapped the riggers -- we were 9 for 12 on them. I rarely use florocarbon after June 1st on the rigger rods, I just tie directly to the lure/swivel using 20# for spoons and 30# for flashers. This year we no problem with fleas on either pound test, but it was a light year for fleas.

Price is another reason for using big game -- I can fill 2-3 reels for $10 (Walmart). I simply have no reason to try any other line.

I'm not a very good fisherman so I have to make sure that when I do get a fish to hit my line is tough enough to get the fish to the boat!!

I have fished the Niagara river for years around all the rocks and currents. After trying many lines to lessen the amount of break offs, we found maxima. I use it on everything now. The 30# doesn't catch the fleas like 20# and for whatever reason it is way more abrasion resistant than any other mono. Service spools are pretty affordable as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

• 3 weeks later...