Keuka 9/11 - Trolling

semperfi

Trolled the state park area early morning 9/11/12. Started marking fish all over the water column so we set 4 lines down, 2 dipsys, 2 downriggers. Right away 5 minutes in, dipsy set 50' down went , spin doctor with an Atomix fly. Shortly after downrigger set 100' down (lots of blowback) with cowbells and a popcorn type bait took one. Then finished off again with another on the dipsy 50' down. We released 2, kept 1 which was 19", the others were smaller. All fish were caught trolling south to north inbetween the two houses south of the state park (you know the two large ones with all the white trim and decking). Haven't gotten out as much as I'd like, 8mo old crawling around has kept me busy. Hopefully we can get down to the Bluff.

Trolled the state park area early morning 9/11/12. Started marking fish all over the water column so we set 4 lines down, 2 dipsys, 2 downriggers. Right away 5 minutes in, dipsy set 50' down went , spin doctor with an Atomix fly. Shortly after downrigger set 100' down (lots of blowback) with cowbells and a popcorn type bait took one. Then finished off again with another on the dipsy 50' down. We released 2, kept 1 which was 19", the others were smaller. All fish were caught trolling south to north inbetween the two houses south of the state park (you know the two large ones with all the white trim and decking). Haven't gotten out as much as I'd like, 8mo old crawling around has kept me busy. Hopefully we can get down to the Bluff.

Thanks for the report! Pulled my boat out of Sodus and can't wait to get back down to Keuka for some fall laker bonanza! Can't wait till October 1st limit bump, my freezer is fishless! :no:

Question for the more experienced folks: what's the typical progression of fishable depth ranges as the fall progresses? Lakers move up from the bottom by end of Sept/ mid October? Will flatlining deep-diving Rapalas work? Unfortunately I'm stuck with a POS fish finder until I can save up some to get myself a nice Xmas present, but for now all it's good for is depth readings, not finding arcs.

Thanks!

I have found that the majority of the LT can be found in 90-120 fow and within the bottom 20 feet right on into January on Keuka. I don't troll but as evidenced by LT chasing jigs off the bottom, I imagine they will rise up to a trolled lure if they see it above them. Keuka water is really clear so they can see quite a distance above them. Have seen them start to come off the bottom when the jig was still 50 feet above them.

I have found that the majority of the LT can be found in 90-120 fow and within the bottom 20 feet right on into January on Keuka. I don't troll but as evidenced by LT chasing jigs off the bottom, I imagine they will rise up to a trolled lure if they see it above them. Keuka water is really clear so they can see quite a distance above them. Have seen them start to come off the bottom when the jig was still 50 feet above them.

Interesting!! Thanks!

semperfi glad to see you are now catching fish . :clap: . you may want to try north of the launch and directly across from the launch . That area really produced for us last week . you definitely have to slow down when trolling north most days . green flies and spoons seem to work best

i trolled very early in the spring this year and late fall last year. i caught a few with mono dipsies and 10 color leadcore around 50' but the vast majority were caught with riggers 80-110' down. Keuka lakers seem to stay deeper than Cayuga lakers even when water is cold for some reason.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png