Keuka 9/13 - Bluff Action!

semperfi

Ran down to the bluff this morning amongst a few other boats. Started a drift in over 140fow in to about 75fow. First drop down brought up a 22" laker on a 5" white Gulp fluke. Continued to use the fluke's, landed a total of 3, all reeled up slow and handled with care, successfully released. Had many more hits but couldn't get solid hook ups or they were grabbing the tails. Was using a standard 1oz ball jighead. If I come back next year, I'll do more preplanning and setup with the trolling sinkers and trebles inside the tube or a wider gap hook with the Gulp. Lots of fish on the lowrance. Tried to keep the lines under the boat to watch it on the ff but the wind was just too much even with the drift sock. Everyone was right, those lakers come right up for your bait. Fun watching them on the ff, kinda like ice fishing perch.

When the fish are short hitting I like to shorten up my baits too. Don't usually go 5" even on Cayuga, I like them 3-4". Also try some jigging spoons over on Keuka, I like Bomber Slabs, diamond spoons work well too. The tube trick certainly works but mostly over there I fish the Slabs and it's a little less work. A bare spoon will fall faster too, better in the wind.

Sounds like fun, never made it to Keuka this year myself. :yes:8)

Semperfi, what are you running boat wise ?, I was there today too, my plan was to run to the bluff & troll back with the wind, but once I hit the first 3 story, all deck cottage on the East side my Lowrance lit up big time with arcs :yes: so I stayed down there. When I was leaving 3 vehicles carrying large flat bottomed skiffs were unloading, all of them were driving Pennsylvania Municipality vehicles, one was carrying portable electric generators on it, I know Keuka (or I heard I guess) is the/a breeding grounds for lakers for all of NY lakes ? (anybody?) I was wondering if these guys were shocking ?, did you happen to run into them ?

Semperfi - In windy conditions (actually most of the time) while standing in the back of the boat I cast down wind far enough such that the jig ends up under the transducer as it nears the bottom. Takes some timing but works really well. From shore today I also saw a flat bottom boat with a generator and lights on it and railings around the front. Wonder what is going on?

Don't know what they're doing over there but the DEC collects lake trout eggs and milt from Cayuga, they park the gill nets right in front of Taughannock in October. Maybe some other spots too. They don't shock them just net them, milk them, and release. Not sure if they get stock from other lakes as well. Feel like I used to know more about this but it's gotten kinda fuzzy...

All you guys are making me miss Keuka, if anyone wants company jigging I can't justify trailering over but could drive a car. Anytime after this weekend is good. Just a thought. 8)

I'm not set up for jigging Alec,(yet ;) ) except on rare calm days (no electric motor), BUT I try to hit Keuka every Thursday, unless the 5 day forecast says another day is better, I have a old friend I fish with, but there's enough room for a third if you don't mind down riggers & Dipsey Divers, you know your welcome to join in, & you know how to reach me :beer:8)

hermit- Would like very much to go out with you on Keuka sometime before freeze up. Just looked at my calendar. 2 weddings, Ithaca College graduation, family reunion, and opening of rifle deer season all in the next 2 months so will have to be during the week looks like. Will be in touch. Good news is the bite just gets better and better in the same 2 months and beyond.

guff, that sounds good too, thanks. I've been fishing Cayuga all summer and am looking forward to some different water. After fishing both days the past two weekends the gf is having me take the week off to do stuff around the house but I'm game the rest of the season. :yes: