Taking my first lake O trip this weekend

Any advice for experienced trollers going for their first trip out on the big lake? We have an average weekend warrior setup consisting of 2 manual riggers, 2 cores (1 full and 1 7 color) and 1 dipsy. Also, have a decent variety of spoons, spinies, sticks and flies. Just looking for any last tips anyone can give before I pack and leave for the weekend. We will be launching out of Oswego and just lining up with the pack I'm assuming. I was wondering though, would it be worth it to head out deeper and look for numbers of immatures rather then fight the crowd? Any tips would be appreciated look forward to seeing you up there!

Thanks

you might have to go deeper just to find the fish, just got back last night, mexico bay in front of the river is bare, the fish must be out in deeper water, fished to 130 fow and still didn't find any numbers. cought 4 fish in the 2 days i was there. if i were to go again i would make sure i had some j plugs with me and i would be fishing right in front of the rivers in 20-30' of water, a good run of kings has already entered in the rivers, but will be many more to come. if you do decide to run in 100' fow, run your dipsy's 240-270' out on a #2 setting. go with white flashers in morning and greens or chrome after around 8 am. if the bay is like it was when i went out there will be no pack to follow, only 6 or 7 boats in the bay that i could see. make sure you bring some spinning rods so your trip is not a bust, if you can't catch them trolling, hit the rivers, you will see hundreds of people fishing the rivers as there is a ton of salmon already in them. you can buy what you need to fish them there as there is a ton of tackle stores right in the areas, most people say that they don't feed once they get in the rivers, that may be true but they will strike out of instinct, so you can catch them. best of luck and let me know how you do.

chris

Thanks Chris,

I have my river rods packed just in case we strike out in on the lake. I have a good assortment of J-plugs that I painted up fresh last night. I'm looking forward to trying out some of my new lures and seeing how things work out for us. I appreciate the advice, and I'll update this thread when we get back Sunday night.

Mexico Bay was great last weekend. The fish were in 60' to 70' of water. Spinnies and flies 50 to 60 down with 60 being the best. Only one fish on a spoon. Sunday was very slow after the storm Saturday afternoon.

Any advice for experienced trollers going for their first trip out on the big lake? We have an average weekend warrior setup consisting of 2 manual riggers, 2 cores (1 full and 1 7 color) and 1 dipsy. Also, have a decent variety of spoons, spinies, sticks and flies. Just looking for any last tips anyone can give before I pack and leave for the weekend. We will be launching out of Oswego and just lining up with the pack I'm assuming. I was wondering though, would it be worth it to head out deeper and look for numbers of immatures rather then fight the crowd? Any tips would be appreciated look forward to seeing you up there!

Thanks

Most of the crowds left after labor day...

This is good advice ;) ." if you do decide to run in 100' fow, run your dipsy's 240-270' out on a #2 setting. go with white flashers in morning and greens or chrome after around 8 am" That's what is working for me also. Most of our hits have been coming first thing in the morning, slow all day, and then again a little flurry of action at sunset. Temperature went way down deep today...break was very sharp, concentrate your efforts on where that break meets bottom. When in doubt about speed, GO SLOWER. :)

Good luck. 8)