Keuka 9/14/12 - Bluffs - last time

semperfi

Ran down to the bluff again this morning for the last time before we head back to Buffalo. Landed 4 out of 5, used a white and green tadpole plastic with a 1oz jig head. As it got later towards 9/930, I could feel them pulling at the tail of the bait, and it was only 3.5". Seemed like the bite was tailing off so we ran back closer to the state park, didn't mark as many fish and it was alot rougher with the wind, letting out 3 miles of line to get down 150'.

So, all in all it was a good week, followed your advice from the LOU forums and was able to hook up. I did see those deck boats also, they keep one in the creek across from the Brachport firehall, it was out the morning. Looked like it was set up for shocking but, we didn't get close enough.

Thanks again, see you next year ..... hopefully.

I was out there at the bluffs as well... Didn't see that many boats today.. Decent fishing, certainly not spectacular.

A friend and I brought 5 to the boat, and dropped that many on the way up.. Bite was good early, but dropped fast after about 9 am...

We had them on white twister tails , pearl/black shad paddle tails, and one on a jigging spoon... My friend was a first timer to jigging lakers, and was pretty happy landing the first fish of the day on his first drop of the morning as soon as we stopped the boat. He landed two, dropped one, .. All in all a good day. We were on the way home by 10:45.

No fish were caught with a "jigging" motion.. All were caught on a drop and reel retrieve today, the faster the better... One crazy laker [ I THINK it was a laker] came flying up through 120 FOW and took a massive swipe/swirl at the lure an inch from the boat as I was lifting the lure out of the water.. He must have taken lessons from the resident pickeral/Pike, etc...

One fish was a respectable 26 inch female, very dark, almost black.

One of the darkest lakers I have ever caught.. She was loaded with quickly ripening eggs, as was another good size fish we kept...

I always feel creepy about keeping gravid fish, but I do realize that Keuka is absolutely loaded with lakers.. We marked a LOT more fish than bait.. as a matter of fact, we saw NO bait today.... bob

semperfi - Glad you connected and like treerat said, you will be an expert after next year. The Keuka LT population is HUGE as Billy Facillo (car dealer) would say. Think most guys agree that the Keuka LT, although smaller in size, are some of the best eating in the Finger Lakes area.