pultneyville 9/14 *update on questionable coho!*

That IS a King; but it's your fish and you can call it whatever you want. If I were you I would order an accurate measurement size replica mount of a 'Coho'. :D

Nate

Im not trying to argue with people just get remarks on what people think, and what i have found. I have caught alot of immature kings and this is just looked a bit odd. and the scales shedding was just something i noticed about the fish.

If it is OBVIOUSLY a king, are you saying that the pyloric caeca count that the dec does to recognize which species it is doesn't work?

I don't think anyone is saying it doesn't work. What I am saying is, scales coming off a fish does, in NO way, indicate species as ALL salmonids exhibit soft scales when they are immature. What you have there is an immature king by all external appearances. It would have spawned next year. If you want to call it a hybrid based on your count that is certainly up to you---it may well have been.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I don't think anyone is saying it doesn't work. What I am saying is, scales coming off a fish does, in NO way, indicate species as ALL salmonids exhibit soft scales when they are immature. What you have there is an immature king by all external appearances. It would have spawned next year. If you want to call it a hybrid based on your count that is certainly up to you---it may well have been.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

and i am agreeing with you on this statement. That is what prompted more than a physical determination. AS well as the the wildlife bioligist also stating " The external characteristics are too variable to make a certain identification"

another interesting fish is this one, anal fin looks to be coho, white mouth as per coho, but yet spots on the tail per king, and caudal fin as a king would have

Johnnie_Rudisil_Lake_Ontario_Coho_Salmon_Not_AWorld_Record.jpg

This fish was determined by dec to be a hybrid.

Kings, cohoes, hybrids...... they're all good and we're all fortunate we have them available to catch!....Nice fish and great job at trying to get to the bottom of it, especially the dissection :yes: .

yes we are fortunate for sure! and Thanks lol

Since when is the hatchery hybrids producing hybrids that they are fin clipping?

There is no doubt in my mind that this is an immature king from the pictures that you posted.

Have a good day

j

"So what happens if the father and/or mother were crossbred? Some 2nd or 3rd generation crossbred Kings clipped by the mass marking trailer? "

Tom B.

(LongLine)

basically along those lines a hybrid mother or father could of possibly made it to the hatchery, i doubt they check every fish 100% to be sure a king or hybrid ( dont know their auctualy checking procedures or anything) and they used the eggs/sperm and mated it with a pure king, and then the offspring got clipped, in turn could end up with a clipped hybrid?

maybe a question to ask the DEC but if i remember my biology right if coho and chinook are truly different species than there hybred offspring should be steril. In fact if i remember correctly the inability to produce viable offspring is what makes the final determination that they are in fact different species and not just strains. so if chinook and coho are different species than there could be no second or third generation crosses as the original hybred would be unable to reproduce in the hatchery. is it instead possible that a mistake was made at collection time and a coho male or female was mistakenly stripped and added to the chinook stock creating some hatchery raised fish that would get clipped?

maybe a question to ask the DEC but if i remember my biology right if coho and chinook are truly different species than there hybred offspring should be steril. In fact if i remember correctly the inability to produce viable offspring is what makes the final determination that they are in fact different species and not just strains. so if chinook and coho are different species than there could be no second or third generation crosses as the original hybred would be unable to reproduce in the hatchery. is it instead possible that a mistake was made at collection time and a coho male or female was mistakenly stripped and added to the chinook stock creating some hatchery raised fish that would get clipped?

that would deffinitely be interesting! I will write him an email tonight and hopefully hell get back to me pretty quick!