Lake Ontario 2012 - Stats, Thoughts, Observations & Findings

Big Water

:yes: certainly have hit many thoughts & details on the nail head! As many have said.....should be a great read for newbies! ;)

I would have cut my learning curve much shorter over the last 6 years if some one had filled me in on half the stuff! Well done!

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent post, and it was my first year fishing Lake Ontario as well. Funny how we came to almost identical conclusions on everything, except white with green dots was apparently way more productive for me than for you!!LOL I really am not looking forward to having only one more summer left to fish the big lake, but I will take what I can get! I have fished lakes all across the US, and can safely say, with no hesitation, that Lake Ontario is by far and away my favorite Lake of all. Pretty bad coming from a guy who was brought up on Walleyes, but these big Ontario beasties have definitely made a convert out of me!! What an absolutely fantastic fishery you New Yorkers have!! :):):yes:

• 2 months later...

Great post, although I'm only 18 the years of fishing on Lake O has helped me realize many of these things and will probably help me get everything figured out on how to fish this lake by the time I'm in my 60s haha.

Honestly one of the best things you can do is get kids into it at an early age as I was young, 8 years old, when I started getting into it. And don't be afraid to let the young people get their hands dirty doing it, whether it be helping get the boat ready, setting lines up, netting fish or getting riggers set up. It may cause some headaches at first but you will be thankful after a year or two.. I'm glad that my dad and uncle kind of forced me to do the dirty work at 10 years old. Eight years later I realize that they set me up to possibly one year be one of the "great" salmon fisherman of this awesome lake we have access to. It's also very rewarding when you take out older guys and they thank you for doing the "hard" work, and putting them on fish while they can sit back relax and just enjoy the day catching some salmon and steelies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would add, our biggest Kings of pretty much every year come out of 39 to 43 degree water.  But...OUTSTANDING observations!

Fish Lake Erie and you will learn the wave forecast can be less than 2s and it really means less than 10s...

Lake Erie was my home waters for years until I figured out there were actually roads that went to Ontario too!   I was so happy to find the more "tranquil" waters of Lake O.

• 4 months later...