St. Lawrence Smallies report

1625Classic

Just got back from a week of fishing smallies on the river. The smallmouth were on the feed. Numbers were excellent but it was the average size that impressed. In our group of eight, six claimed to have caught their biggest bass ever. Fishing current seemed to be the key. Depth from 50' to 30' produced the best although one morning near A Bay we found a shoal (approx. 20') that produced a half dozen 4-5lb beauties. Worms on a floating jig was the bait of choice. I even caught two walleyes. We've fished the St. Lawrence for almost 30 years and this was, by far, the most productive week ever. Can't wait to get back (in October). It seemed as though everyone we spoke with told the same story.

Excellent!!!! Sounds like the bass are "gobied-up" :P ! It is time for smallmouths in lakes and rivers, before they venture deep to winter, and slow down (some!). Seems like it is almost always feeding time, but there is even more urgency in them with the cooler months ahead. WTG. Wish I was there. Have hit the Larry in September-October and always did well on them and other fish, but not after a cold front.....Give a report on your next venture there, please.....!

Nice job on smallimouths...I was catching them on stickbait s while trolling for walleye s this past Sunday not far from the big river...out in the big lake....of f. Of. Chaumont bay. They are sure chunky and spunky this time of year.A nice change from fishing kings ... good luck next time out.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png