2011 Deer Harvest Stats

FX

45% total reported is pretty sad,but with the call in system and if you push the wrong button as easy as it is many get fustrated and hang up ..Knowing some of the hudge numbers of permits issued to farmers im shure very few get reported. I know for a fact just between 2 farms in watkins area they issue over 160 permits....and with our wonderful economy many depend on venison for food not just a special game treat..As someone who lives in the woods for deer season 90% of the time ,I might make a lucky guess the take is just a tad more than shown..

Maybe this fishing site could get more to "call in " their deer for a more accurate count ....justa thought ..

I thought the same thing Ray - especially the DDP's. The low success rate for DMP's supports poor reporting as well. The myth that if you don't report your deer take, there will be more permits next year needs to be dispelled.

Shawn

Gentlemen,

Help me out here - is the Harvest report an "estimated" report based on the 45% reporting rate, the field surveys of 15,100 deer, etc. or is it the actual number of killed deer that were reported? My understanding is the total tally of deer killed statewide of 228,359 is an estimated number based on the reporting rate, field survey work, etc. and it already takes inot account all of the nuisance permits, poor rate of reporting, etc.

Let me know your thoughts - thanks,

- Chris

road hunters in northern zone are rampant. trucks going slow for miles on back roads....c-mon. what you think is goin on? every single one should be pulled over and checked for a loaded gun! no loaded gun...have a nice day. loaded gun...please step out of the vehicle sir...your under arrest.

I've seen the same in the hills around Bath, NY - pickup truck, 4 guys in the back, (in camo, for some reason), slow cruising the farm roads just before dusk.

I report deer but this whole calling in thing is the biggest pain in the butt. I would much rather just fill it out and drop it in the mail a lot easier and I feel there would be a lot more reports each year. Also the calling in of the tags isn't the majority of the problem. When they were mailed many people didn't bother mailing them either.

The problem are the Amish and Men-n-Knights. They will strip a property of any game in a few short years. I live in Amish country and see 8 maybe 10 year old kids walking around the fields with shotguns looking for deer. Or they push them to their parents. On our family property we have never needed to push deer to see them. The deer walk around like they aren't effected but it's mostly because we don't shoot everything.