Reading the Ice...

kappy

I like to be on at least 3 inches or more of solid black ice

What I mean, clear ice not honey combed. They say first ice and last ice is best, you know we hear every year an experienced fisherman fell threw.

Why take chances for a fish. Also it does not necessarily mean the ice is safe for you, because you see a lot of guys out. Check it as you go with a spud or auger, drill some holes. White ice is not good, that is when the snow melts and then refreezes, I have been ice fishing for over 30 years

DO NOT TAKE CHANCES....... a few years back we seen a bunch out by the channel markers at Irondequiot bay. well we took the long mile walk.

We all know that is about the last place to freeze, deep water and under currents, we went out, over about 35 FOW and there was only max 2 inches yikes. and these guys were closer to the channel all in a group.

you could almost feel the ice buckle tell you what we lasted about 5 minutes,, on the way out we drilled holes but it was shallow with no current,, check the ice and conditions before you venture out,,

And B safe. carry some ice picks, and a rope with you... if something happens, good link to go to for Ice conditions is

very informative site hope this helps :) stay safe this year kappy

http://www.iceshanty.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The best method when I'm in doubt on the quality of the ice is to get my buddy to go with me :D . He goes a good 100+ pounds more then I do 8) .

As we start to the ice with our sleds, I come up with some lame excuse :roll: why I have to go back to the car and tell him to start with out me. I give him about a 50-65 yard head start. If the ice holds him, I’m good to go. After a few years of this he still hasn’t caught on and thank god hasn’t goon in the drink yet ;) !!