October 1st opener?

Legacy

Is everyone in favor of the october 1st opener for archery. The first week of the season has always been a good time for me to see big bucks for the first time. Bucks are still in that transition phase, and im thinking we should see more big bucks (which are still on the feed pattern) get killed in the first 2 weeks. Certainly more then in years past.

I grew up a few states to the south where bow season opened in mid September. It was always too hot but the 1st week of October was always perfect. I expect the same here. The acorn mast is good in most places and the full moon will make for perfect afternoon sits in the stand. The buck kill was never crazy in MD early season and the big bucks were always killed the last week of October through mid November. I expect the same here. I have lived here 7 years now and in my humble opinion this is an excellent decision from the DEC.

Breakin' in my new gun dog so grouse hunting mostly during the early season. When it is warm....deer hunt lazy. Bucks will sleep in late so be in your stand by 9 am to hunt til 1:00, watch football, then be out again for the last hour of light. Good luck, hunt safe.

I'm undecided, Rob. Any excuse to spend more time in the woods is a good one but it was only a couple years ago they moved the opener to a Saturday so more hunters could get out. I can take a day off pretty much whenever I want but the friends I hunt with can't.

I'll be out by myself Monday but it's not as much fun without my buddies, ya know?

I HATE IT :@:@

I think it's going create a lot of hunter conflict...yes i bowhunt...but i also like to small game hunt

we hunt in the souther teir, and there is a lot of hunters down here

what about the guys that wanted a couple weeks to turkey hunt? shoot grouse? maybee run the beagles for a couple weeks before deer season...we all share the same land

besides if we need 8 weeks to fill a deer tag....maybee we should take up golf

I am a meat hunter, make jerky, burger, all that. I love it. :inlove: be out there friday night and sat. am but have a private spot to go no state land around so I understand the frustration some hunters have over the saturday opener for gun.

Bow hunting on state land has always been very good for me. Just arrive at 430am and find your stand in the dark with a headlamp..quickly walk in and quickly climb up..very important not to fumble around.

Do not ever!! hunt close to the road...hike back a good half mile when you hunt state land.

Hey good luck all you guys and hopefully a few gals :yes::clap:

Upside -

It seems like a good time to knock a doe down early and fill the freezer.
:yes::yes:

Downside - With warmer temps, meat spoilage will occur more rapidly. Be wary of the "processors" with a pile of deer in their driveway.

Shawn

Upside -
It seems like a good time to knock a doe down early and fill the freezer.
:yes::yes:

Downside - With warmer temps' date=' meat spoilage will occur more rapidly. Be wary of the "processors" with a pile of deer in their driveway.

Shawn[/quote']

:clap: learned how to do my own processing with Dad when slugs were flying over our heads . I was 12 no youth hunt then :o

Do yer own fellas :yes: .....early hunt is awesome , get it while you can, worry about antlers later when they start to walk.

good luck ;)

My only concern is that the next step is an earlier opener for the gun season. If that was to happen the deer hunting in NY would be fantastic for the first year or two and then once all the bucks were shot with rifles durring the rut, it would take a big turn for the worst.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Ya I would rather see it go longer into december than start earlier. At least then I can hang the deer overnight so I don't have to stay up the same night I shoot the deer to quarter it and keep it from going bad.

Deer hunters have it made in ny. I don't have an issue with the temps. I shot antelope in aug. Don't really think it's fair to lock up state land with big game hunting. Small game , trapping, and waterfowl deserves its fair share. I preferred states like colorado. They make u choose a single a weapon per species. Archery elk might be month long. If u pick rifle, it may only be a week long.