Hot Lure: Hot N Tot, Hot Tiger, Blue stripe, Green Hulk

Trolling Speed: Irrelevant

Down Speed: Irrelevant

Boat Depth: Irrelevant

Lure Depth: 2-5 feet

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

First off I would like to thank the local DEC and local groups of the Fair Haven area for their stocking program over the past 5 years or so. Your hard work LOL has given us the best Fall Salmon runs in years!

As of 4 days ago (after our fall picnic) we got hit with a major wave of big kings. I broke out my small boat the samon express(spelled that way for a reason lol) and paddled out to the middle of our horseshoe in our marina and had a blast. I pulled in 10 (released them all back) and had another 7 or 8 for some great fights.

Most of what I took were huge Jaw males but some females in there as well. They are jumping in there by the hundreds and I am not kidding on that.. Highly active indeed.

The best part is...Private marina and its all about the location. Normally I would hit the wall at Oswego or even hit the salmon river but the last two years I have not had to leave my dock...

Were gonna go hammer them tomorrow and thru the weekend. I am certain we will have vids and photos for sure :yes:

The boat I am using is this little ole 12 footer. Been in that bay since the late 50's. When I get a fishon the boat acts as another drag lol, and the water is so low that the fish can pull the boat under the docks lol.

So basically they get double drag on them and it just makes them become helpless. I adjust my drag tension to make the boat get pulled by the fish lol.

After they get spent I just pull them in the boat by grabbing the backside of the gill. And the hits are right in the mouth for the most part. They are not feeding at all but they will get pissed enough to swipe at it. Thats one of the main reasons for the males being the majority...

Now how long it lasts who knows but for the first wave...wow..

My friend and I were at the Oak several years ago in front of the Black North. They were jumping all around us but we couldn't get them to hit. I tried every spooon and stick bait in the box and they wouldn't hit. what were we doing wrong?

I casted plugs for 2 kings on Sunday....I am far from an expert but I believe it mainly boils down to number of casts frankly. I probably made 300 casts for those 2 fish. I suppose If there are enough fish in the area, one of them will hit eventually.

Net pen programs at work. I challenge anyone to dispute that. We have not had returns to the bay of this magnitude since the end of the 90's. In those days stocking was done at the south end of the bay where our pen fish are reared these days. Just wait a couple of weeks and I think we will even blow those days away.

mrclean.

do you dock with Chris at Anchor?

Tim

No im next door...been at bayside for 24 years now....

And Popeye is right its that net pen program(I knew they called that something). My sons took 4 more yesterday afternoon...3 females and a male(threw them all back)..Right next to your dock (popeye). Everything is real close to 30..

John already kicked out 3 guys for trying to fish it lol...This guy says "well he is doing it" (pointing to me) lol. John says he lives in here he can ....

Were going back tonight. Its just too good not too...were gonna try and shoot some vids and photos.... :yes:

My friend and I were at the Oak several years ago in front of the Black North. They were jumping all around us but we couldn't get them to hit. I tried every spooon and stick bait in the box and they wouldn't hit. what were we doing wrong?

The thing is...these fish are not feeding at all. In fact they are dying. If your going to use a spoon you need a heavy one, silver backing like a little cleo (they work great). cast it out, count to 4 than bring her in.....repeat until hooked up lol.

This is my favorite, blue/silver been using it for over 40 years now (or as long as they have been around anyway). This bad boy will work big time!

acme-little-cleo.jpg

I wouldn't bother with stickbaits but would go get some storm hot n tots...they are basically a crank bait that when you retrieve it at a slow to mid speed it goes back and forth basically pissing off the fish. It has a tendency to get to the right depth and go right thru them.Fall Salmon hate this lure with a passion. It just pisses them off...These also work well in the oswego river and the lock system as well...

1408788.jpg

Obviously these tactics will not be effective in a place like the Salmon River. But for areas that you have to get deeper or pools where they spawn.....I cant help but think these two lures above would make your day better..

No chuck and the rest are all done. You can write the majority of those guys off after September 1st for the most part.

Fishin was slow Friday. Caught 4 and lost 3 others. Lets see what today brings. And yea there are more and more coming in. I think we have at least another two weeks to do this..

they still got fight in them too. turning black daily but still fighting...

I'm not saying where but I get kings and hos to hammer reef runners and jr- 5 rapala deep diving crankbaits. small lures not big ones. I hooked into 4 today. my dumbass was running mono today so I lost every fish. messed up thing is I caught.my first two fish of season that way on 8lb mono. well I had enough. 30 pound powerpro it is. already had one fish ruin drag on my reel. these fish are no joke. they crush lures. and I've caught them on the spoons you show above too. as far as tactics. you have to get that lure cranking deep but not moving forward to fast. good current seam is all I fish and I can catch fish all day an night and watch the guys in boats catch nothing. its kind of funny actually. but its not funny when you get broke off and lose your tackle in front of them. tomorrow is another day.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

HEY MR CLEAN NICE TO HEAR FROM YA.....I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE,I DOCKED RIGHT NEAR YOU ALL SUMMER LONG ON THE DOUBLE J ......I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WAS ABLE TO FISH THESE EARLY DAYS OF OCTOBER AND JUST WHAT THE KINGS WERE DOIN....I'VE HEARD A LOT OF GREAT STUFF ABOUT THE "KING" YEAR THAT FAIRHAVEN HAD ESPECIALLY ON HOW EARLY THEY WERE CAUGHT AND WITH GOOD SIZE AS EARLY AS LATE APRIL AND EARLY MAY AND ANYONE WHO HAS FISHED THIS AREA OVER THE YEARS FAIRHAVEN WAS ALWAYS BROWNS IN THE SPRING AND MAYBE SOME KINGS IN SUMMER IF AT ALL.JUST SEEMS LIKE ALL SPRING AND SUMMER FISHERMAN PRETTY MUCH HAD A CHOICE ON WHAT SPECIES THEY WANTED TO GO AFTER.IF YOU WANTED TO GO FISH 100-500 AND SPEND YOUR TIME TRACKING SALMON THAT YOU COULD DO SO AND MOST TIMES YOU WOULD PUT KINGS AND SOME COHOS IN THE BOAT...AND OF COURSE YOU ALWAYS HAD THAT FAIRHAVEN BROWN PROGRAM IN CLOSE TO SHORE BAND MOVED OUT AS THE WATER WARMED,JUST SEEMED LIKE IT WAS ONE OF THE BETTER YEARS TO BE DOCKED IN FAIRHAVEN AND IT'S EXCITING TO WRITE ABOUT IT NOW...I KNOW YOU PUT A LOT OF FISH IN THE BOAT....DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DEC NUMBERS AS FAR AS AS SALMON THAT RETURNED TO FAIRHAVEN FROM THE PROGRAM THAT LOCAL FISHERMAN HAD INVESTED IN OVER THE THE LAST 4 YEARS.?? I KNOW MANY OF THOSE KINGS HAD FINS CLIPPED TO SHOW WHERE THEY WERE FROM??? JUST CURIOUS ON HOW MUCH YOU KNEW???IT'S ALREADY OCTOBER AND WINTER WILL BE HERE FULL BLAST BEFORE LONG...HOPE ALL GOES WELL AND I'LL KEEP AND EYE ON POSTINGS OVER THE WINTER...BE WELL JOHN

I would like to think the DEC will have some real good data after this year. Lord knows they camped out at the cleaning station all year long and noticeably more this year. Hell they were even diggin in the buckets.. Basically after they cut the nose its a matter of processing the info...that will take some time. Fish are still swarming the marina big time. This past week has been slow only 6 hook ups. The thing is its working because for all they release, they're coming back....

But they are still here and were gonna keep after them until they die out. The whole horseshoe is packed...incredible....Im shooting back up tonight and staying until later in the week or whenever....