Walleye this time of year?

Patriot

This time of year I got a few trips set up to hit Huron, OH. The reef runner bite is pretty good out there. Good limits, decent fish, great possession limit (keep a bit of skin on though...new law this year). The 4lb cookie cutter. So the big school is out there.

I bet if you go deep off sturgeon and west, you should do ok trolling. Probably not fast fishin, but youll get a few nice ones. A rigger 5 feet off the bottom may still get a fish or 2.

I think the resident legal fish (less than 20 inches) are still lurking by the south gap and windmills (water before senaca). Cranks should do ok, but I wont discount meat. One board way out there (500+) on the line counter, with a reefie 5 feet below the surface, can be exciting at times. Run 5 naturals in glass, the upper last one should be an off the wall color. Nothing maintstream. Pick the crank you havent used yet, and slap it on.

I miss my jiggin/riggin days of the midwest. So spoiled with river fishin, and shallow water, wind blown, natural reefs of Lake winnebago. Perch fishin should heat up, so don't just focus on walleyes. This will be my first year workin the muskie bite out of the harbor. Excited to try that kinda fishing.

Well, off to the game. Go bills!

Out of Barcelona Harbor NW to 160 ft of water down 65 ft with Renosky's Cristalina natural perch color at 2.2 mph.They have been getting 5 to 7 eyes ,a.couple steelhead and some Lakers

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Maybe I'm trolling too slow. I've been about 0.09 to 1.6. I'll try kicking it up next time out. I'm fishing a resiviour downstate New York. Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks guys

Greg

I talked to a couple of guys fishing out of Walnut Creek,Pa and they are doing very well there. Maybe the Ohio fish have gone down that way already. One boat out of Barcelona Harbor yesterday only had one walleye and two steelhead.

Today we went out of Barcelona Harbor and turned left heading west and started marking lots of big hooks in 25ft of water.So we changed our plan and put out crabkbaits in shallow waters off Chautauqua Creek and caught 4 steelhead running 20ft flow at 2.5 mph.Then the winds kicked up at around 11:30 am and we went back to the dock.That was fun fishing within eye sight of the dock.

Wow, some nice steelies!

I know I only been in buffala a few years, but being perched at top the tower at the 22 floor, and having some of the finest kai-yote hunting field glasses (from my midwest days), I see a few folks working the drift from the orange roof, down the canada side. Looks like 3 ways with spinners.

I think it was mentioned, current edges, like the midwest rivers, may be the key.

Mark,I use look up and down the Green River from a oil drilling derek with my kia-oyte field glasses back in 1971 near LaBarge,WY.I was keeping my eye on a little indian boy's brown trout fishing tatics.He would take a kichen table fork turn over rocks near the rivers edge and stab little bullhead. Then he would hook a bullhead on the hook of his Snoopy Rod,toss it out in about 12" of water very close to shore.He would let out enough line so he could back up and lay down but not cast a shadow of himself on the water.I looked on from the tower and watched him get big 3 to 4lb browns one after another.

Here I'm using an expensive fly fishing rig and not catching many fish at all.I decide to use my pocket knife to stab a bullhead hook it to my fly, lay on the ground waiting for the hit,when another fly fishermen came by asking me,Are You OK! I never tried to answer what I was doing got up and my rod started dragging toward the water.After a close to shore couple leaps in the air I landed a nice 4 to 5 lb brown trout.The other fly fishermen started turning over rocks.

So from your 22 story seat get out your navigation chart and start marking where the boats are fishing especially in late November, musky guys!

Larry,

Were they stone cats or bullheads?

Jimski2, I do not know who passed the laws but it is confusing at times where you can get fresh bait (and use it).

I like using stone cats (tonies) but they are ornary and they will sting your fingers til you can't feel anything. I like using them in the river August and September for eyes but really, what I end up with is a ton of smallies. When I do catch an eye it is like winning the scratch off lottery. Not because they are not there. because the bass won't put their feed bags down long enough to let the walleye start eating.

Joe

Joe,They were little bullheads light brown with black spots,about 3" long and lay in-between the bigger rocks on the shore edge of non current water of the Green River in Wyoming,

Mark,If you see the same boat working some of the same spots every day,that will most likely be me!