I Fed an Eagle

Pete- What a sight! More and more Eagles and Osprey on Cayuga!.

Last duck season I shot a drake mallard that was 1/2 dead. Before I could get my kayak to finish him off, an adult Eagle swooped him up. Took every ounce of energy for that bird to make it to the trees for breakfast. This happened between Dean's and Sheldrake. Where did you spot your bird?

Lavarock

There was an eagle hunting Sandy Creek in the estuary last week when I was working on my boat. It followed the creek not high up from the lake to Rt 19. It then roosted in a dead tree just West of Rt 19. Very cool to see.

Biglaker,

You're making me sorry I didn't get the camera out fast enough! It's so cool that eagles are making a comeback. I was trying to think of when I saw my first eagle..... can't quite remember, but it must have been when I was into adulthood. there is a nest within a couple miles of where I live now!

The one I mention in this story was on Canandaigua. there have been eaqgles nesting on the south end for a few years now. They tell me they stay throughout the winter. You often see them right from the launch.

Hi Pete

When you go to take a picture have your digital camera on continuous, keep the camera on the fish floating in the water, just before the eagle gets it start taking pictures

then just pick out the pictures you want and delete the rest because those eagles are fast and the digital camera are slow the eagle will have the fish before the camera go's off.

I was fishing Seneca a couple weeks ago on the south end and i saw a eagle on the tower on the brake wall but had no luck to feed him.

• 2 weeks later...

biglaker,

Man, they act like park pigeons for you! I missed another great photo opportunity last week. I was driving to work and passed a herd of deer that included a piebald. they were fairly close to the road and i would have gotten a great shot.

Pete