Bow Season Buck

fishshack

Well I went out hunting yesterday 11-7-07 and around 4:30 I hear some cruches behind me. I was already standing up in my treestand and am just waiting to see what it was to come through the brush. I finally see it and notice it's a nice buck so I draw. I held at full draw for a good minute and waited for the deer to step in the shooting lane. When the deer finally steped into the lane I anchored my kisser button, put the pin on it and let the arrow fly. The deer acted paralyzed for a second and then took off crashing through the woods. I seen that my arrow didn't pass through and that it was a little far back but I knew it was hit pretty good. About 15 seconds after I shot I see that the deer had circled out into a overgrown field and was running through it. This is where I lost track of it. I got down out of my treestand and looked for blood or my arrow. Nothing. I decided to go home and talk to my dad because I didn't want to jump it and never find it if it wasn't hit good. We decided we would go look in the morning for it. I really thought I gut shot the deer and was worried all night. My dad thought it was hit good by the way I described that it acted. We got up today and went near where I shot. No blood. We searched through where it ran through the woods before it went into the field. No blood. We decided to look around where I last seen the deer running through the field. We found about 4 drops of blood on the overgrown brush but no trail to follow. I didn't think things were looking good. I was mad that I may have wounded a nice buck. Well we split up and were just trying to find some blood to follow and I look to see where my dad was and see some white. I looked a second time and there I saw my first deer with a bow and also my first buck. I couldn't believe it. I yelled to my dad "Hey I think I found something". He said "What". I told him to come over here but couldn't wait till he got all the way to me to tell him that I found the deer. He ran the rest of the way and almost tackled me. I think he was more excited than I was. It turned out to be an 11 pointer. I thought last night it was a decent 8 or so. It had an 18 inch spread. The deer only went about 40 yards from the point that I last saw it in the field. I am having it mounted also.

buck082.jpg

Super nice buck looks to be 4 1/2 years old. SWEET double throat patch.

Where abouts in Syracuse are you from? I grew up in Marcellus and killed at 140 class deer there when I was in my early twenties. I miss the rolling hills out there and loved the bow season. Still get out there from time to time to hunt with my father "behind the house".

It's hard to leave the area where I am now though. Well done and smart move waiting the deer out overnight. Where did you end up hitting him?