Installing swim platform on 221 islander

Adk1

So my boat is split between fishing and recreation. Two young kids and a wife. The islander I just bought does not have a swim platform on it at all. Thinking about having one installed or installing myslef. Just curious to know if anyone else has done this. Have not decided on full/partial or a simple swim ladder yet. I like the idea of having a small platform over the lower unit, especially to put the fish cooler on but think this is dangerous for using it as a swimplatform because it is directly over the lower unit. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. thanks

Adk1,

I have a 1995 Islander 221 with a full swim platform. I secure a cooler on it while fishing and the kids jump off it while swimming. I haven't had any issues with the lower unit and the kids. I do use a swim ladder off the side I purchased from Overtons. The swim ladder makes it easier for younger children(and older) to get back into the boat while its pitching everywhere. The ladders inexpensive and keeps the kids off the motor cover and rear seats. I also secure our tube to the platform while tubing. This keeps more room in the boat for the family.

My boat came with and platform and I haven't had any issues with it. I can't imagine this being a hard project to install. Good luck.

Jay

thanks for the response. I also have a kicker bracket so I guess I would either have to get a smaller platform for the center..I think for the first summer with the boat Iam going to get a swim ladder like you say. Which model do you have?

Honestly, being over the lower unit really shouldn't be an issue, since your engine should be off (not running in neutral) before you ever let anyone jump off it into the water or try to climb back up onto it. Basic boating safety 101.

Tim

Honestly, being over the lower unit really shouldn't be an issue, since your engine should be off (not running in neutral) before you ever let anyone jump off it into the water or try to climb back up onto it. Basic boating safety 101.

Tim

I hear you there, but, accidents happen.