What downrigger to put on new boat?

If I ever re-fit my Islander, I'd be leaning towards Big Jon's.

Have had Walker, and Cannon hand-crankers, Cannon electrics, over the years.

Recently installed BJ's on my smaller boat, and really like 'em.

If you are going to go with Big Jon, get the brute model to handle the heavier weights required for todays fishing. Both Cannon and Scotty high speed models handle heavy weights as well. Nice features offered by all models. Big john has less plastic, good pulley design, a tip-up feature which is nice on the center rigger for netting fish, and strong well made rod holders. Scotty has a track record for reliability, a clutch lever release system which is faster for lowering your ball while not draining battery power. Most don't like the plastic rod holders of Scotty. Cannons have the most advanced rod holders, but I have never been a fan of their pully systems. As you can see there are pros and cons to each. They all work fine. The important issue is picking the right model to handle the size of the weights you want to run.

The new Traxtech riggers have a lot of unique features not available on other riggers. They are in short supply now, but I have two on order, with delivery scheduled in time for Christmas. Check them out!

Yes, I agree, the Traxstech Riggers look very nice with some really cool features. They had one on display at out LOTSA Expo last winter, the video of the new rigger on their website was filmed there at our Show. Kind of pricey though at almost a grand apiece.

Tim

The new Traxtech riggers have a lot of unique features not available on other riggers. They are in short supply now, but I have two on order, with delivery scheduled in time for Christmas. Check them out!

Good luck with them! 2 out of the 3 "Pro-Staffers" on Lake O have been through a few sets so far. They look nice, and conceptually they sound nice, but the reality is all new models have issues. Wait until they figure those out.

There really is only two options out there. Cannon and Scotty! We've run both. Both are great. Pros and Cons on both. Both are reliable. The new Cannons are super fast, built like tanks, and look good. They have a great rod holder accessory too.

Yankee;

I hear you, however, I have two Brute back up riggers that can just be dropped back in where they were originally on my boat. There is a very good warranty on the Traxtech's, & hopefully, I won't need to use it. My supplier says that the ones coming out now have the initial bugs worked out on them, only time will tell.

Thanks for the first hand info, as there is none better!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a pair of big jon captains but now wonder how to mount?

Do the gimble mounts work good,(slide in rod holder) are they strong enough, I like the idea of just pulling them out and locking riggers inside boat when not used,

Just purchased a pair of big jon captains but now wonder how to mount?

Do the gimble mounts work good,(slide in rod holder) are they strong enough, I like the idea of just pulling them out and locking riggers inside boat when not used,

I do the gimble mounts with big jons & have not had a problem at all. The only thing is if you trailer the boat with them in they bounce around a bit so I just remove them or tie them tight together with rope or rachet strap.

Make sure your gimble rod holders are good and strong, the one's that came as oem on my boat were too flimsy to hold the stress of a downrigger and were only held in place by 3 short screws. After I installed quality rod holders that were through bolted with backer plates they worked great.

If the rod holder breaks loose you will not only lose the rigger but will also have damage to your boat ;(

Big Jon makes quik-slide mounts that work great for your application. Compare the prices of the ginble mount ( $50.00) plus upgrade the rod holder vs quik-slide mounts ($80.00). Nice thing about the quik-slide mounts is that you can put them in several locations on the boat for different uses and you won't have a big long gimble sticking out the bottom for trailoring/storage.

I've been using BigJon's for 20 years and never had a boom break and I'm using 12lb'ers. You must of had the sections threaded near the end of the rods with only a couple threads holding for that to happen. :wondering: To bad. :speechless: