Want to start trolling......................

I'm new to this forum and found it while looking for info on trolling/Finger Lakes. I live in Rochester and am primarily interested in Hemlock/Canadice. I've mostly done worm dunkin in lakes and fly fishing streams so this trolling thing is all new to me.

I'm on a very limited budget. Just bought a used 12' boat and 6hp motor and am now thinking about how to go about getting ready to troll. I plan on buying a Humminbird 561 which is a stretch for me but I assume that a fishfinder is pretty necessary.

Which method of trolling?

I have looked at down riggers and the cost is more than I can afford now. I probably could build a DR but am not sure if a DR it is the best method? One thing that concerns me is spooking fish with the boat almost overhead of a fish?

Pulling copper seems mysterious to me as how does one know what depth you are fishing?

Lead core interests me most but again the cost of a high capacity reel and proper rod isn't going to happen soon. Can lead core be fished as a hand line as in pulling copper? How accurate is depth based on how many colors are down?

Any insight as to how to get started in trolling would be appreciated.

Jack

Dipsy wire rod might be cheapest way for controlled depth trolling. I got used rod setups for 35 bucks each from a charter captain. They upgrade often and you can find some deals. Watch the LOU classifieds or go to one of the flea markets in the spring.Pulling copper by hand has worked for over 100 years. This requires some sort of device to keep the wire stored. They used converted Victrola boxs in the day. Wes

Dipsy wire rod might be cheapest way for controlled depth trolling. I got used rod setups for 35 bucks each from a charter captain. They upgrade often and you can find some deals. Watch the LOU classifieds or go to one of the flea markets in the spring.Pulling copper by hand has worked for over 100 years. This requires some sort of device to keep the wire stored. They used converted Victrola boxs in the day. Wes

Hadn't heard of a dipsy wire rod! I googled it and assume you are talking about using a dipsy diver (new to me!) on wire? Sounds like it may be a good idea. Thanks Wes!

What Wes stated was perfect. Even the lead core rods would be a great investment when the time comes. If you really want to get geared up watch this site like Wes stated. Even go to the sportsman shows! Finger lakes has a great one in watkins every year..

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Which rig is more versatile, lead core or dipsy?

Dipsy diver setup with a small diver as well as the standard diver. Lead core won't get deep enough mid summer and on.

Wayne,

Thanks! I love answers to questions that also explain why. What sort of rod line would you suggest?

Jack

When my boy was out of diapers and able to communicate his needs with words, hungry, thirsty, gotta poop etc. etc., we would take our 12' Jon boat w/ a 15 HP Merc to a local lake & pick out what we thought was a "good spot" & drown bait & throw hardware, if we didn't catch anything we would move to a spot that maybe HE thought was where the "big ones" were and that's how we "fished".......we ALWAYS brought home something :yes: THEN I bought a Hummingbird fish finder, and then what we did was drive around the lake looking for the fish 8) long story short my boy quit fishing because we were no longer "fishing" :(

Here we go, I too wanted to try trolling, the bug bit me hard, and like you, not a lot of $ to throw at it, I think my very first welcome to LOU was from Ray, his welcome to the site was "Welcome to buying more stuff". I have been on LOU for 3 years latching on all the free info, willingly given by true professionals OVER AND OVER AGAIN ;) , I took 2 (?) trips on the "Reel-Hooked Up" charter service with Sean Brown, neighbor & willing teacher :yes: anyhow I digress.......Sean found me a deep vee for $3750 (S.O.B. wouldn't come off that $50 dollars either :o;) ) I then sunk another $5000 in it in rods, reels, down riggers,( I can count on 1 hand how many "dink" fish I have caught on 2 Cannon -5somethings VHF radios & the best antennas, wire rods, down rigger rods, dipsey divers, spoons, flies, spin doctors, a fish hawk X4 something, yes I can tell you the temp down there & the speed at the ball ????????? Lowrance elite 5 chart plotter/ fish finder......the list is endless of what I bought and thought I had to have :talk: >sigh<. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my new sport........this year was my very first year with ALL my equipment ---------> "IN MY HONEST OPINION"<--------- If I was to start ALL OVER again, the same boat would be bought (I would so beat him out of that $50), I fish with 1 friend, so I would get the best & biggest chart plotter/fish finder that I could afford,( I probably would have went with a -8), a good electric trolling motor, 6 wire rods,(don't forget about fleas :@ ) and 2 jigging rods, all the colors of Spin Doctors that you see recommended here, & the flies & spoons that are also recommended, & a handful of jigs. Remember "we" are not charter captains ( :inlove: the charter captains on here, NOT a jab by any means) and remember the beginning 8) of my very long "fish" story and don't forget to "fish", stay safe and ENJOY ! (Keuka is a GREAT learning lake ! :yes: ...........Welcome to buying more stuff :P

I run the mag dipsy and standard dipsy. The mag will go over 120" deep which you need to do at many times of the year. Never fished the lakes you are going to targeting so not sure how deep you need to go. Last 4 years 80% of my fish have come off dipsy rods but I fish mostly for lakers. Do not need to go as deep for bows or browns. Wes

I run the mag dipsy and standard dipsy. The mag will go over 120" deep which you need to do at many times of the year. Never fished the lakes you are going to targeting so not sure how deep you need to go. Last 4 years 80% of my fish have come off dipsy rods but I fish mostly for lakers. Do not need to go as deep for bows or browns. Wes

Wes,

The more I read both here and on the web the more I am thinking dipsy is the way to go. I am wondering if one of the modern low stretch lines would substitute for wire?

I would give up my riggers long before my dipsy rods could be pried from my hands. For every fish I catch on a rigger, probly catch 8 on dipsy. And...not trying to discourage you...but...trolling on a tight budget...hahahahahaha!!!!!! As was said before...welcome to buying more stuff! Hehehe.

Kyle

I would give up my riggers long before my dipsy rods could be pried from my hands. For every fish I catch on a rigger, probly catch 8 on dipsy. And...not trying to discourage you...but...trolling on a tight budget...hahahahahaha!!!!!! As was said before...welcome to buying more stuff! Hehehe.

Kyle

When I was actively flyfishing I spent a lot on tackle at first. More and more as time went by I used less and less tackle. I got to the point where I could fish the local streams with 2-3 flyboxes of flys and one rod always catching trout. It boiled down to learning and time spent on the water. Now my eyesight is such that I can't see size 18-24 hook eyes in low light levels to tie onto the tippet so I decided to try the lakes where much bigger tackle is easier on old eyes and I still flyfish for warmwater species.

I can't afford collecting gadgets and toys not to mention that it doesn't interest me much. For me learning about trolling is most important and being the poor and cheap old bugger I am I'll probubly catch fish on a small collection of tackle.

I think the dipsy will probably fill my needs at this point in time. Now I need to figure out what rod/reel will work best.

freshwatermodels, I started out my trolling obsession on Hemlock with a 6hp johnson and a 12 foot sea nymph. I loaded the boat inside my ford explorer and set the 6hp on the passanger seat :D..before purchasing a trailer.. oh the humble beginnings but to date the most exciting fishing days of my life outta that 12 footer..If I can help out shoot me a pm.

I may have ideas for you as far as mounting rod holders and how and where/what depth to pull the wire dipsey rigs in there.

No doubt a great choice for a starter rig, once you nail down the speed and depth of line out in there with the wire dip ..the lakers will come. :yes:

sent you a pm chris

you can use a braid line but wire offers the option for deeper i got an okuma 47 line counter reel and dipsey rod combo at gander mt for like 80 bucks filled it with 1000' of wire and am so glad i did. I plan on buying another one next year as the braid i run oppisit it just doesnt get as deep and therefore isnt as effective certian times of year. a couple different size dipseys will open up all the depth options you need for those lakes and keep the lures away from the boat. great first option espeically for a small boat and trolling alone. the second rod i would recomend is a leadcore can fish a lot of the water colum and again gets away from the boat for spookey fish took a ton of early season trout on short cores this year. I learned how to rig them and everything elese from this site so browse and read as much as you can. as you start to catch fish you get more hooked and have to buy more gear. sorry about that cant help it.

I love this...... :inlove: ......This is great stuff.... :yes: .....and this is a great comment......" as you start to catch fish you get more hooked and have to buy more gear. sorry about that cant help it". Ioiosoiwork..... :rofl: ......Freshwatermodels, you'll be gettin' nice lakers, browns and 'bows from Canadice, and those PLUS maybe some really nice walleye from Hemlock in no time with the great help U R getting.

The reason we use wire and not braid is the fleas, If the lake that you fish does not have fleas you can use braid. The fleas stick to braid real bad. Mono has to much give. When you are ready to get the equipment send me a pm and I can help with how to spool up and all that good stuff. The best thing you can do is ride along to learn how to use the rods. It is not hard but you can screw things up if not done right. I always enjoy taking newbies out and you are welcome to ride along to learn some tricks of the trade. Wes

Thanks to everyone for their posts. Once I have the boat set up with a FF and a rod/reel/dipsy I'll have questions in another thread about lures! I appreciate everyones input! Jack

Whatever Dipsy set-up you choose, make sure you go with wire. You will really enjoy fighting a fish on the wire and you won't have to worry about the "lovely" fleas!

I just finished reading an article about those nasty little crustaceons that will probably change the FL fisheries.

So...... Does using wire trash guides on cheaper rods like uglystik ?

Earlier I wrote a bunch of detailed suggestions etc. but even though I was logged in it disappeared so I'll shorten this up with some BASIC suggestions to consider (in addition to the great info already mentioned by others)

A lot of us have been at it (trolling etc.) for many years ....over 50 for me. We get carried away with our passion for the newest techniques and equipment and as mentioned buy all sorts of stuff (some of which we don't admit to getting "burned" on :>)

"Basics" go a long way in trolling; especially when on a small budget. some suggestions:

KNOW the lakes you intend to fish....get basic maps (e.g. Sportsman's Connection Western New York Fishing Map Guide can be found inWalmart and other stores for $20 or so).

Get a basic depth finder to help you study the lake. Get to know it as well as your wife or girlfriend :>) Big screen color depth finders are nice to look at.....but they are expensive, not necessary, and you can spend all your time mesing with nested menus and looking at the screens instead of actually trying different strategies, effectively reacting to the behavior of the fish, and paying close attention to details which make all the difference in your success rate (no matter which species you are after).

Learn how to TROLL before getting too much into the finer points of specific equipment and techniques. You need to learn the right trolling speeds for YOUR BOAT for the species you are after as well as the lures you use. Many lures have specific speed ranges or values that make all the difference in results. Try them out along side your boat to get an idea how they look BEFORE dropping them down. Troll in PATTERNS (S curves, diagonals, switch speeds etc. learn to detect which way the current is running ifthere is one...try to stay against it or perpendicular to it)

To start with you may only need BASIC equipment that you may already have while you are initially learning. For example, during the Sp[ring and Fall the rainbows and browns are often found in shallower water or suspended within the top half of the water while the lakers can be found 90ft-200 ft. on bottom in late Fall so you need specialized equipment to get to them. For Canadice and Hemlock in the Spring and Fall you could get away with basic spinning rods with 10 or 12 lb test wih inline weight attached a few feet ahead of the lure or stickbait run about 100-200 ft behind the boat (the slower you troll the deeper thebait will go (up to a point). You could also get away with small dipsys with small flutter spoons off medium to heavy spinning rods.

Before you consider dipsey setups or leadcore take the time to check out your boat and the rod holder setup both those options produce substantial drag on the line, rods and holders. Make sure you have holders that permit various angles, are firmly anchored in the gunnels or transom and test them out and test them out beforehand to make sure of clearances etc.

Once you get a handle on these basics move up to the stuff you can decide what (and if) you need to get down to the preferred depth ranges duringthe summer and late Spring months.

Best of luck with your upcoming adventures !

Les

Before you consider dipsey setups or leadcore take the time to check out your boat and the rod holder setup both those options produce substantial drag on the line, rods and holders. Make sure you have holders that permit various angles, are firmly anchored in the gunnels or transom and test them out and test them out beforehand to make sure of clearances etc.

Once you get a handle on these basics move up to the stuff you can decide what (and if) you need to get down to the preferred depth ranges duringthe summer and late Spring months.

Best of luck with your upcoming adventures !

Les

:yes: on the rod holder ! GREAT POINT Les ! http://www.traxstech.com/Individual_Rod_Holders.html <------very happy with, course my boat came with their track system, 24" and underneath support plates, I just had to buy the 2 swivel down-rigger mounts & 2 of their rod holders, pricey, but a GREAT investment