mag spoons on seneca

Last two responses were right on target. Bigger is NOT ALWAYS better :>) Sutton 88's (hammered silver or hammered silver and brass work best but on rigs generate a lot of drag (OK singly on riggers and behind leadcore but not well on small dipseys) but I've had real good luck over the years with Large sized Evil Eyes especially the black/silver lightning and Blue silver lightning ones but mostly out very deep and in the Spring (pulling thermocline rigs mostly). Again, throughout the season you want to try to match the size of the sawbellies available. Smaller is better as the season rolls on. Most of the time the "Lake Ontario" big stuff doesn't work real well (or consistently) on Seneca. Sutton #71's used to work well for me when there was a viable smelt population on Seneca but that is no longer the case. If you are after Lakers on Seneca Northern Kings and Pirate spoons (when you can find them) work well on them as well as the bigger browns. With rainbows and landlocks smaller is almost always "better".

I forgot to add that I've had the same experience as ERAbbit in the shallows in the Spring and probably it reflects the fact that the larger sawbellies are in there spawning in large numbers and thus the larger spoons match them pretty well.

i usually will drag the dreamweaver s.s. and michigan stingers. i have noticed during winter,the size of bait that is in the lake trouts belly is very large. some that i have taken had saw bellies of maybe 6''. i figured it may be worth a shot to drag a mag spoon once in a while.