Ethanol decision expected after election day

jimski2

What is the world coming to? We burn diesel fuel (tractors, farm trucks) so we can burn up all of our food to make gasoline.

There is no longer a decision to be made. There is simply no longer any choice.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/ ... KU20121011

estimates of 2012/13 ending stocks were smaller than forecast.

Corn end stocks, forecast at 619 million bushels, would be a scant three-week supply. It would be a 5.5 percent stocks-to-use ratio, nearly emptying the supply pipeline.

Washington will announce how we will deal with the corn crop shortage after election day. The most likely scenario is the price of oil will rise dramatically and we will pay more for our gasoline. Watch th video,

http://www.adn.com/2012/10/17/2664461/t ... -over.html

The price of oil is always rising dramatically regardless of the corn crop. It's a commodity that feeds on speculation and big profits and unless that is severely restricted it won't matter. If this might mean less ethanol then great! I'll trade off an increase in gas prices for non ethanol gas. I do it now. My older machinery is thanking me this year since I have more access to non ethanol fuel and I have saved many dollars in ethanol related repairs compared to past years. There is always a trade off!

So much for the "renewable energy" hype...can't renew crops during a drought season...duh! Maybe the corn off the cob shouldn't have been used at a rate of 40% for fuel. It's nice that they are exploring other bases that we don't eat for the fuel but I still an not a fan of trading one volitile energy source for another.

Natural gas burned to make biomass fuels still makes oxides..anything burned uses oxygen and makes oxides...(carbon, sulfur, etc.)..the tractors and trucks and diesel electric locomotives still gotta plant, harvest, and transport it to the refineries. Reductions in greenhouse gas is a farce. Guess all we can do is crab while Washington goes deeper in debt subsidizing the idea, and blowing smoke about its viability and greatness. Sure prices will possibly jump at the pump but that won't be because of ethanol supplies. Refinery stocks are bet on every day in trading and that is the worst culprit.

In another thread someone mentioned the droughts having effects on water rights. Los Angeles is paying farmers not to plant, big money per acre not to plant so they can get more water to the city from the aquaducts used for irrigation. Las Vegas is afraid that the lousy economy and lack of revenues to tax for their expensive water from Lake Mead and the Colorado River will have them running out of water due to the drought and a government agreement that when the water reaches a certain pool level above sea level the lake will be shut off for supply or at the very least go below the tunnel entrance for the water to get to the city. That would require the city to figure how to get more water with the tax base lower than it ever has been due to housing crunch and other economic downturn effects. A real problem, since the Hoover dam is involved to make electricity from the same impoundment.

Kinda places a high value on water in some places where the corn don't grow, and in places where lavishly landscaped living really should have thought about how it would survive. The city pays folks there to remove the turf and have gravel yards by the square foot so they don't have to water the grass. Hookup fees for water are wickedly high.

Seems the trickle down effect plays more of a role when you have the rights to the sources at the beginning of the flowage and the ones at the end have enough money to buy it from the middle. That could be the farmer that grows your food...or in this case grows your fuel for your car. Which is more important comes down to who has the most money in hand. Could be the oil companies...see ...water is valuable in a indirect way, and you can bet YOUR dollar will find It's way to the highest bidder no matter what. Whether it is sin city..or smoggy LA..or the farmer if it makes more for him to grow corn again instead of fallow.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 weeks later...
Dis the Bush administration initiate the gasoline/ethenol effort?

This ethanol fuel thing was much promoted by the Bush administration,but it really is the thing of the mid western corn producing states and the political power of the farmers lobby also known as the corn lobby.

Republican or democrat,it does not matter. The farmers lobby has us all by the b@lls.