*** official rut activity thread ***

salmonite

I hunt in area 8t canisteo/ howard area and the deer numbers have gone in half the last 2 years. Last weekend between 4 of us we hardly saw anything,1 spike and very few doe. Few scrapes or rubs. The farm next to us is at least 500 acres and he lets nobody hunt and very few deer are in his fields. Is anyone else hunting in this area and having the same problem?We've talked to other hunters around bath and everyone has the same problem.We do have alot of pics of nice bucks but not alot of doe or small bucks.

Hunt with some buddies who have land in the same area. they are experiencing the same issues. Not seeing much of anything - they would always pull some nice deer off the property, but as of late not seeing much. :no:

gbj92 wrote:

I hunt in area 8t canisteo/ howard area and the deer numbers have gone in half the last 2 years. Last weekend between 4 of us we hardly saw anything,1 spike and very few doe. Few scrapes or rubs. The farm next to us is at least 500 acres and he lets nobody hunt and very few deer are in his fields. Is anyone else hunting in this area and having the same problem?We've talked to other hunters around bath and everyone has the same problem.We do have alot of pics of nice bucks but not alot of doe or small bucks.

I hunt the same area and sightings are way down from previous years. It was pretty bad here last year with the warm weather. The only other time I've seen it this slow was several years ago. Half way through gun season I found out from a reliable source that a neighboring farmer was issued 30 deer damage permits and filled them all! It was a pretty slow year! I'm off for 3 weeks starting Sunday and I'll be at it full time then. I'm hoping things pick up after Sandy blows on out of here.

gbj92 wrote:

I hunt the same area and sightings are way down from previous years. It was pretty bad here last year with the warm weather. The only other time I've seen it this slow was several years ago. Half way through gun season I found out from a reliable source that a neighboring farmer was issued 30 deer damage permits and filled them all! It was a pretty slow year! I'm off for 3 weeks starting Sunday and I'll be at it full time then. I'm hoping things pick up after Sandy blows on out of here.

Two years ago the guy that owns the property I hunt saw 36 bucks between bow and gun. Last year he dropped to 16 and this year is terrible.We did see 2 bucks following does last weekend , but doe numbers are real bad. The dmap tags are part of the reason every farm has them and alot of them. The only thing that different is they put up windmills all around us , we thought maybe that drove the deer away from our property.

Amazing morning in the woods today. Saw a small 4 point dogging a doe for an hour then had a nice 8 point hanging with a doe. I tried to get him to come out of the woods with a couple grunts and he wouldnt move. thats when I saw a 10 point walk over to him. Figured they would do some sparring but they didnt. The 10 pt ended up walking away while the 8 hung around then came out into the field to check things out and then left. I had to chase a button away so I could get out of my stand. Its a shame I wont be in the woods around here for a week since I'm going up to the Adirondaks for some rifle hunting. Good luck out there. This is the most action I have seen in a long long time! :):beer:

Dick, Nice buck in the picture. And considering he was out on Tuesday after the storm, he must be pretty determined to find a couple of doe hunnies.

Lots of activity around home this week, even in the crappy weather we had Monday and Tuesday. Lots of bucks out in search mode, reguardless of weather or time of day.

Yesterday after work I decided to get in some bow practice before the weekend starts, and no kidding... I'm out practicing, and behind the our barn in the brush, is crashing, running, and all sorts of loud desperate grunts. Just funny how I'm shooting a bow, and they are just another 70 yards beyond my target having fun.

I havn't been in the woods since last Saturday, but this weekend is going to be a good one.

Played hookie today. Deer on the move. With the lack of clear moonlit skies and cool temps......bucks have abandoned their noctornal ways for now. Rattling still is working and the amount of rubs and scrapes have exploded.

Hunting somewhere west of Pavilion this weekend and looking for some karmic payback for passing on a doe/fawn combo last time out. Been too long since I've had the opportunity to launch an arrow at a buck - high hopes for tonight!

Hunting now saw 3 buck this morning driving to kendall. On way to stand 2 different deer blew at me. 6:05. Was in stand by 6:15. Had doe cone right back at foot of stand 10 min later. Since then 2 more doe and piss buck I watched. They r all browsing.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Watched 7 bucks chasing next to work yesterday. The one big boy was guarding a doe with his life. The 3 little bucks gave up quickly. After the big buck would chase the smaller bucks away, he would put on a display and tear the woods apart. It lasted all day.

A lot of activity in 9N. Rubs, scrapes, and bucks chasing. 4 different non resident bucks cruisin by trail cams this past week. Good deer movement last night, but not much this morning and a little at mid day. Hopefully a shooter walks into a shooting lane tonight.

Shawn

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

my_11pt.jpg

Had to stop this guy with my best 2 stroke "Brraaappp" imitaion. He was running 2 doe down and thought the logging road was a good shortcut to outflank the doe below me. It was good for me, Skidded to a stop 12 yrds away and gave me an opening to shoot. Finally, First wall hanger after all these years and got to share with my brother the real Hunter.