*** official rut activity thread ***

salmonite

I think we are ahead. Saw two button bucks without mom. Once mom starts smelling interesting she will not tolerate having junior's nose up her rear and will chase them off. Saw a mature eight pointer on side of 290 near Buffalo sat. morning at 8:30 cruisin' with a swollen neck. I noticed a couple of fence-post-sized rubs on trees when I was bird hunting. Things about to get interesting :yes:

4 different friends shot there best bowkills ever yesterday two were in the 110 to 120 range and the other two were slob 8 pts in the mid 140 range. All these deer were shot in a different county in wny within 50 miles of rochester. Take that for what it is worth but i think it is starting to heat up right know! I have all of next week off not sure i will be waiting that long to take some time off from work after yesterday!

Good Luck

Hunt Hard and Hunt Safe!!

I hunt in area 8t canisteo/ howard area and the deer numbers have gone in half the last 2 years. Last weekend between 4 of us we hardly saw anything,1 spike and very few doe. Few scrapes or rubs. The farm next to us is at least 500 acres and he lets nobody hunt and very few deer are in his fields. Is anyone else hunting in this area and having the same problem?We've talked to other hunters around bath and everyone has the same problem.We do have alot of pics of nice bucks but not alot of doe or small bucks.

From what I saw in the woods this weekend I'd also say that things are beginning to heat up.

Saw the same mature buck, Friday evening and Satruday morning, chasing younger bucks. I thought the little buck I saw on Saturday morning was going to get a rude lesson on how the rut works. That mature buck came in on him with the hair standing up on his neck and shoulders. Very impressive to watch.

Plus a single button buck walked under me later, and a little grunting and chasing in the brush and corn. I did have one doe come by that was not interested in what he had to offer. Not sure if it was the same mature buck, just hearing the grunting and crashing in the brush.

Deffinately a couple of fun hunts. Already looking forward to this weekend.

From what I saw in the woods this weekend I'd also say that things are beginning to heat up.

Ditto. Hunted Albion/Barre area Sunday & had a large deer stomp through 20 minutes before sunrise, 45 yards out. I passed on a doe/yearling pair that hung out from 5:15 to 5:45pm, hoping they'd draw in the big 8pt that keeps showing up on the game camera. Found out back at the truck that at 5:30pm, he'd been on the other side of the property, chasing a doe at full speed. He blew by both the guys I was hunting with - too fast, out of range and fixated on that doe.

Just when things are getting interesting, I've got to head out of town for a wedding ;(

Saturday afternoon/evenings sit over here in Madison Co., was interupted by small game hunters so the herd came out a little later than I've been seeing them, and witnessed a little 4 pointer harrassing a BIG doe, that had twins(2 others have twins, and one has triplets)and she wasn't having any of that.

My son saw 2 fawns alone, a 5 pt, and heard running deer behind him prior to that.

We have 4 beautiful bucks on camera, and a pile of little guys too.

This should be about the begining of it now. :yes:

Just had a doe 10 yrds away as I'm trying to get to stand and some soft grunts behind her was a young 4 pt. got a cool video a mr 4 became concerned with my presence at 15 yrds. Had some mature finally showing up on trail cam few days earlier zone 7

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Just had a doe 10 yrds away as I'm trying to get to stand and some soft grunts behind her was a young 4 pt. got a cool video a mr 4 became concerned with my presence at 15 yrds. Had some mature finally showing up on trail cam few days earlier zone 7

post it if you get a chance

saw a real big buck just at noon today only reason he should of been up and just walkin would be to freshen up...problem was i was in the van it was in a spot i could hunt,so i stopped a couple hundred yards down the road ,midday big bucks dont make 2 mistakes....but i might move a stand there :$ just in case

This guy had a bad day chasing a doe around a built in pool in montville nj. Actually my cousins neighbor. Anyway the doe ran out the gate while romeo thought he could jump the fence... guess not! And to be further humiliated he got shot in the head by a cop.

IMG950853.jpg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You got shot in the head by a cop?! :). Plenty of activity tonight despite some less than favorable conditions. Saw four different bucks all trailing does. Didn't seem overly aggressive but definitely staying close running them around the fields.