musky video

Old man,

Nice fish , but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. "it was a nice fish until they killed it." (your response from the Michigan record thread)

Maybe you should concentrate on honing your own release skills. If you are going to target muskies, you should lose the walleye gear. You could start with more capable baitcasting gear to shorten the fight, a bigger net, and leave the fish in the water, while in the net, to unhook and get your camera ready etc. Your video cuts off as soon as you pull that fish in the boat (terrible practice by the way). I'm afraid of what the rest of your release process may have been, if it was even released.

People think muskies are big, mean fish, and they are, but they are also the most fragile (when it comes to releasing them) fish I have ever fished for. Cold water temps may have saved that fish you guys caught, but if that was summer, that fish would be dead. The better our release practices are, the better fishing will be for everybody.

Ok Old Man. I tried to offer some constructive criticism. If you are concerned enough to fish with barbless hooks for easy hook removal, I would think you would be concerned enough to handle the fish better. I am sure you can find some other helpful hints with a Google search and maybe even a video to help you, but he is a link to some tips for a release process that is better for the fish than what you are currently doing: http://muskie_guy.tripod.com/cpr.html

Our New NY Muskies Inc Chapter 69 will educate everyone on proper handling of Muskies in the near future.One thing I do know about Old Man he does care about Muskies,he has donated more funds to purchase fathead minnows for Prendergast Hatchery through the Chautauqua Bait Fish Fund then any one individual. Old Man for Christmas I'm going to give you a Beckman Magnum Fin Saver Net w/6ft Handle so you have a bigger net,then you can leave the next big muskie in the net in the water until you clear the lure and then get the camera ready for a quick out of water picture.I'll deliver it to the November Chapter 69 Meeting,sorry I can't get it your way now!

Very Nice Muskie by the way!

Capt. Larry