Chuck the Buck - 10/18

Billy V

My boys and I had been scouting this buck all summer and they had their hearts set on me killing him this fall - it was pretty clear that it was this buck or nothing for me here in NY. We have dozens of trail camera pictures of him and the boys had become enamored with him and had named him "Chuck the Buck". They both helped scout him all summer and spent a bunch of time in the woods with me hanging stands and clearing shooting lanes, so they were pretty invested in ole Chuck. I last saw Chuck on opening morning as I was climbing into my stand. I didn't think that he had busted me but I was beginning to think that maybe he had since he had been a pretty regular visitor to my stand site and he had just disappeared after opening day. I'd had a slow afternoon sit on Friday with very little deer movement and with about 10 minutes of shooting light left I decided to give a doe bleat a try before I climbed down to head home. No sooner had I put the call away than I looked up and saw Chuck emerge from the hedgerow about 75 yards away and come towards me on a string. It seemed to take forever for him to get to my shooting lane and present me with a shot and I was losing daylight fast. When he got to 25 yards he gave me the angle I was looking for and 15 yards later he was piled up. I called home right from my stand to tell the boys that I had shot Chuck and when I drove up to the house to get a lantern they were both waiting for me on the porch with flashlights in hand - huge smiles and all. It didn't take long for my bloodhound boys to track Chuck to where he had tipped over. Holy cow were they excited! Chuck isn't the biggest buck in the woods but he's definitely the most satisfying buck I've ever killed because of how excited my boys were to scout him and finally to help me field dress him and drag him out of the woods. Long live the memories of Chuck the Buck!

DeerHunting2012018.jpg

DeerHunting2012020.jpg

Great " Team Work" guys . Looks like the young Men did the hard work and sent Dad out to do the easy part ,just go sit on his butt and toss a arrow,and ya actually hit something ..

Good job boys (young Men) on putting yer Dad on o'll Chuck, Its about time he put some meat on the table,I'll bet you were getting tired of eating fish and veggies..

Just remember Guys in a couple years when you start hunting, DON"T Tell DAD where yer getting good pics of deer,when it comes to hunting its ok to tell him a little "white lie" and put him in the worst possable stand on the property , while you guys take the good setups!! :lol:

Thanks for sharin Capt. Bill... Good job doing the easy part... ;)

Ray K.