Weekend Report

Well it's the week after the Mark Troy tournament and I decided to sneak out yesterday for a couple hours and see if I could show my brother and his wife some musky action. Had went out on Saturday as well and had a good day fishing with Mike - got a bunch of mid-to-upper-30's fish but also raised some really nice fish we couldn't get hooks into that day. Hot lures on Saturday were Suick's, Tubes and Lunge Lumber's.

When we first setup in the middle of lake near south end, I noticed some thrashing on the surface and upon closer view it looked like a good size musky trying to suck down a bass. After seeing this we slowly headed our boat over to that direction and started casting around where we had seen the thrashing. It was early morning and so I started throwing my all white lunge with no luck. Switched over to tube to see if they wanted something worked a little slower........ no luck. Switched over to 9" perch prowler.... first cast in same area we saw thrashing, 2nd turn of the handle and rod loaded up. Knew it was a big fish right away ;)

photo-1.jpg

49" on perch prowler - short fight and quick picture later, back she went to grow another inch hopefully next year :yes: I sent a text to Mike (winner of Mark Troy tournament last week) saying "a day late and dollar short..." :lol::beer:

About a half hour later or so my brother was able to hook up with nice fish up tight in about 5 feet water ripping a LEO jerkbait over the weeds.

image.jpg

After that we had a one more follow and fishing slowed right down to "almost" nothing.....

image_1.jpg

Didn't have Joe on my boat this day so someone else had to catch the pickerel :rofl::lol:

As soon as the sun got up, blue bird skies, fishing slowed to a crawl. After the pickerel we had no more follows or hits and we called it a day at 11:00am to try and get home early to watch some football. I was down to 2 feet of water at the dock that I keep my boat at on Waneta and so I decided to pull the boat this weekend before I get myself in a jam. Looking forward now to fishing Chautauqua and Niagara River in coming weeks.

Hopefully I'll see you all out there 8)

Chad

Nice fish Chad! Thanks for sharing your info. I am planning on taking my son later this week to try for his first muskie. I have a 19' deep-v, and was wondering if I would be able to launch it, or if the water level is to low for that size boat. I would hate to drive all that way to find out I can't get the boat in and out safely. Did you pull your boat at the launch, or from your docking area?

Hey guys -

Thanks for the kind words!!! :beer:

Pizzaboy - I was lucky enough to have a friend down there who has a cottage on the lake and let me keep the boat there for a small fee. I was down to about 2 feet of water at his dock and so we decided to pull it. The plan was to keep it there into November but water level was getting low and we ran into another "unexpected" situation. That situation was that if you are the only dock left in on the lake, then you are the main resting point for EVERY SEAGULL on the lake! Ahhhh :lol::lol::lol: My nice grey boat was totally covered before that weekend and it took me a good chuck of time to clean it off...... that was kinda my breaking point - haha.

I didn't have any troubles getting through the main channel when launching the boat but I did trim the big motor all the way up and took the boat out on the trolling motor. My boat is an 18ft Starcraft Superfisherman and it drafts 18" inches when the motor is trimmed out. It does remain pretty shallow even out of the channel for like 50-100 yards so just a word of caution.

Ivan - I live about an hour closer to Waneta than I do Chautauqua and have a friend with a dock on Waneta. That convenience is really the main and only reason - nothing to do with the fishing itself really. On top of that I got a couple friends that I fish with on their boat on Chautauqua when I go. It works out good so I don't have trailer the boat down there each time and in return they can hop on my boat to fish Waneta anytime. I'm actually excited to get back on Chautauqua hopefully this coming weekend. My friend Dan just boated/released a 51" slob and lost another of equal size in the same day........ crazy!! Best time of the year for us musky anglers :yes:

I'd like to try the Niagara River or maybe even the St. Lawrence next..... hmmmm decisions, decisions.......

Ivan -

If we get it out it will be on Saturday and I'll most likely be a stowaway aboard Joe's boat. He has a 18' Tracker boat (grey) with a walk-through windshield. Do you have a VHF radio on your boat? We use channel 9 on Waneta to talk to friends while on the water.

Cheers,

Chad

I do have a VHF Chad, but I usually keep it off. I usually communicate with friends by text on the water. I'll keep an eye out for you guys. Looks like you are mainly a caster. I'll be all toasty warm and dry inside my roof and side curtains trolling around, although that may not be the best way to catch fish at this particular moment. Was it Dan H. that got the 51? Don't tell me it was this past Saturday or Sunday...trolling was off for sure at Chq those days.

Sounds good Ivan - and yes it was Dan but it wasn't last week. Couple weeks ago. Trolling bite should be picking up as water continues to clear up. Good luck out there and stop over if you see us!!

I'll stop and say hello if I see you Chad. My theory is either water temp or weather for the slow trolling bite last weekend. I missed a month of fishing Chq prior to last weekend because of some health problems, but before that we were slamming them trolling in that brown water of Sept. Dad and I had a 14 fish day Sept 22nd. Good luck to you as well.

Nice fish Chad, I went to Waneta with Toothy this past Sat. Toothy had a nice hit casting a spoon about 2PM and a real nice nice rip at dusk on a spoon. He also got a few pickerel on spoons. I got nothing. Ed was there and he got a mid 39s casting and a 42 trolling. Everything was in about 10 to 12 ft. of water.

I heard that sologrande and several others were going to be there on Sun but I haven't heard any results yet

Steve G

Steve -

Good to hear you guys were able to get out and see some action. I'm itching to get back out now and will hopefully be going this weekend sometime. I don't know where exactly yet but most likely it will be either Chautauqua or Niagara River. Next Friday I took off work to go down and try some casting on Chautauqua with Mike Sperry - looking forward to that!

The storm last night left my entire neighborhood without power. My house smells like a Christmas Tree exploded in it because of all the candles my wife had going..... geeezzzz..... looking forward to getting back out there and enjoying some FRESH air again! :lol::yes::beer:

Chad