Gimbals

pescado

Name: Pescado

Home Port:Port Credit

Boat Name/Type:SeaFox

I fish for:Salmon and Muskie

Hello everyone,

I recently boat myself a boat that i plan on using to do some salmon fishing. it is not geared up at all for down rigging but i would like to purchase some riggers. My question is what are your thoughts about using gimbals to mount downriggers on. Are they strong enough even with a heavy cannon ball? Any input on the topic of using gimbals for salmon fishing would be useful. I have also seen gimbals that have track systems for additional equipment. Any thoughts?

Pescado out!

Welcome to the site. We use two gimbal mounts for short armed downriggers on the corners of a Sportcraft 252. We hang p15 pound weights from them. After two seasons we have had no problems. You should make sure your rod holders are heavy duty and are secured to the gunnels with thru bolts and backing plates. I don't know how they might work with the extra stress of long booms.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey G-Daddy,

Thanks for the reply it is reassuring to know that gimbals are actually being used in Lake Ontario. My Seafox walls are totally inclosed so i can't see if the manufacturer supplied rod holders will be up to the task, unless i was to drill a hole in the boat to see whats going on in there. since i am new to the world of salmon fishing i have lots of questions like,

size of reel, how much line should it hold,what kind of line, what type of rod short or long, what lures should one start with. size of cannon ball, oh ya and of course where's the fish. lol.

Pescado out!