trolling with verados?

flywasher

I have a chance to buy a 2007 boston whaler "305 conquest" with twin 275 verados. My question is can anyone tell me if i can troll with these engines for salmon and trout down to 1.6-2.6mph? I've heard differing opinions about outboards not being able to troll that slow.

Thx for responses in advance.

I've been trolling for 3 seasons now with a 225 Verado. I've got a 13p mirage prop and I can get down to what you want. However if there's a good breeze blowing, sometimes I have to pull a bag. Those Verados are simply an amazing motor. Troll 6-10hrs a day and then hit the throttle and buzz back home. Great on gas, quiet and so far no major problems. Couldn't be happier with it.

Total Chaos

The best part, I love the troll button on the control. Push that button and you never have to hit the throttle. You bump the motor 50RPM +/- just by hitting a button. You can dial in your speeds perfect. My 23 Trophy Pro has a 250 Verado and the slowest I have been able to get with a 13P Mirage Plus is about 1.7 nothing slower. That is GPS speeds.

180ccf, I also have a Trophy Pro 2302. Probably why I can get down to 1.4mph with 25hp less than you. I think my boat is slow on top end. What speed do you get at 5000rpms. My WOT is 5800 rpms and 29mph. My mechanic thinks I should run a 17p prop but I don't want to sacrifice the low end power and the trollability. I'm just trying to find out what other Trophy owners get for performance. Thanks

Total Chaos

Chaos, we should talk on the phone. I have LOTS of good info. However, not as good as you want to hear since you have the 225 and less HP than me. PM me your phone number and I will share what I have found. Even with the 13P prop on my 250, the best I see at 6150 RPM is 41mph. Burning 29GPH and the best mileage is 2.5 mpg. I have been through hell and high water with very good prop guys about my setup. I was also told, try a 17P rev4. Our motors will not spin that prop. Lets chat some time. You could have your 225 bumped to a 300+ if you want. There is a guy in California that does a computer upgrade and can make any I-6 Verado up to a 350SCi. It's under a grand for the computer work. All the Verados 200 to 350 are the same motor. The computer tells the engine how much fuel and boost and RPM to run. Every motor except the 350SCi is a 6300 RPM motor. The 350SCi is a 6800 RPM motor and a lot more BOOST!!!