Dad's Trophy

Reel Action

Well...under normal circumstances...Dad would give me crap for showing off his trophy...but since he's not exactly computer savvy...I'm pretty sure I'm safe. I have to say...my love of both fishing and hunting came from growing up in a home where Dad demonstrated a love and respect of the outdoors and always made sure that he demonstrated how to do things the right way. If there was a fish that was 1/4" over the legal limit...it was going back...despite my pleading to keep it..because we had to make sure that if we were ever questioned...we were always in the clear. Dad has always been there to show me how to scout, place stands, practice with your weapon, hunt safely, follow blood trails...and every other lesson that any kid growing up in the outdoors needs to know...even if he doesn't think it's important at the time. The last three years, I've had the incredible fortune to harvest my biggest bucks of my life in consecutive order...and Dad has been there to celebrate with me each and every time. We shared an unreal outing last year where I shot a doe, Dad insisted on coming to help bring it out of the woods, and as we were field dressing the doe, another doe and 8 point walked out into the woods 125 yards away. As Dad turned to me to encourage me to take it, I handed my rifle over and insisted that he take the honors...as he was about to head in for surgery and would miss the majority of the hunting season. I can't express enough how incredible it was to watch him use my rifle (left handed at that) and slowly move into position to take a great 8 point...what a morning! But the one thing that I couldn't wait to see was when Dad was able to harvest that one buck...the biggest of his life...the one that would show Jr how it's done and...as only Dad can do...outdo me at my own game. Well, that opportunity came this weekend on the opening day of rifle in the Northern Zone. Dad was hunting on some family property and had two bucks come in. Using the grunt call that I talked him into buying after it worked well for me a couple years ago (the only credit I can take!)...the bucks came into him on a string. After picking the larger of the two, he was able to make a great shot and drop him. Dad is one of those old school guys that rarely expresses any emotion, but when I got the call from him after the recovery...the excitement in his voice was one that I will never forget. If there is anyone in this world that I wanted to see get a buck bigger than any I've ever seen...it's my Dad. (At least until my son is old enough!) This is a guy that has paid his dues and has seen deer hunting through thick and thin...and to see him harvest such a beautiful animal...and to be able to experience the rush and excitement that goes along with it...what a great feeling for a son that owes so much to his patience, instruction, and mentorship. I couldn't be more proud of him...and I think I'm happier to put this on here than I have been with any of my own. Congrats Dad...even though I know you'll never read this. Thanks for everything you have done to teach me respect for the outdoors, how to do things the right way, and how to enjoy every moment that you can get in the wild. You are my inspiration and I will never be able to thank you enough for every moment you have given me. Here's to many more! I love you Dad!

Dad.jpg

Dude ya better print a copy of this,put it in a envelope and mail it to yer Dad or slip it somewhere he will see it very soon.

Yes you are the fortunate one to have such a great relationship with yer pops.

And to yer Dad I would say he is the fortunate one to have such a great relationship with you!

Growing up in tha 70,s (teenage years) I can sum it up best in one word "COOL !!"

Thanks so much for makin my day you TWO !!!

Ray K.

I love you dad.

There is nothing better than sharing moments with your dad. My dad and I have a similar relationship as you and like Ray said make sure he gets a chance to read this. It will mean more than you know to him. I have had the privelage of sharing a majority of my summer with Dad on my boat and I would not have it any other way. Remember these times as one day they will be memories so live every day to the fullest and love your dad like every day is the last.

Mike

'Bout Time

PS. I love you POPs

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

A great story of love, devotion, and companionship unique and special of a father and son. Thankyou..he may be old school on the outside, but inside is the house of pride, and you are obviously the fuel of his passion for life. Do share this with him. I wish I could say your exact words to my dad as you have here.

I had 16 years of his legacy, and it was the best time of my life but way to short. My past 40 years are a tribute to him as I will always practice what he preached about the outdoors and life. I'm with ya Ray....the 70s 8)

I am my father Kenneth's son. Mark

Beautiful buck :yes:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

:yes:

Great Story! Enjoy every minute you can with him, I had a similar realtionship with a Great Dad as well and he passed away last year unexpectedly I miss him more than I ever thought I would. I would give up alot to see him reel in one more salmon on my boat or to see him climb into a treestand with his bow one more time!! Tell Him Congrats and I can only hope my son appreciates me one day as much as you do your father.

Thanks to all. Well...as it turns out...Dad ended up seeing it after all. Word got around to Mom and she pulled it up for him to see. He was definitely pleased...I guess Junior didn't turn out so bad afterall. :) Thanks to all for the kind words...incredible experience and hopefully someday my son is as excited to experience the successes of his old man. Although...by then I'll be so consumed with getting deer for him that my hunting may go by the wayside. Good luck to all this season and hopefully you guys will be passing along more great stories of your own...always love checking in here daily to see who has scored!

Great story and congrats on the many successes of the hunt! It's good to hear that your Dad got to see it. Too many times things go unsaid until one day you hear ' "wow, I never knew......." I hope your son gets to experience the same some day :yes:

Shawn

My dad passed away nearly 29 years ago on opening day after having a heart attack while hunting. They found him laying next to the 4 pointer he had taken. Thanks for sharing your story. It brought back many happy days in the field with my dad and it is a great tribute to all dads that were and are great mentors to their sons and others!