New Boat - Bottom Paint

dubblec

Upgrading to a bigger fiberglass boat for 2008. I use to trailer my boat, but will most likely dock the new one from April through October in Fairhaven or Oswego.

Any suggestions on what types of quality Bottom Paint I should get and where I can get my new boat bottom painted in the Fingerlakes or Fairhaven/ Oswego Area. Just looking to protect my investment.

Definitely bottom paint it if you're gonna slip it for any time. You really don't want to try and clean it after it's been in the water without bottom paint. It'll have all sorts of growth on the bottom that's nasty. There are several brands out there. I've used both Pettit and Interlux and have generally found that you get what you pay for. A good bottom paint will last two + years and the cheap stuff will need to be re-applied every year.

Check this link for info on how to apply it:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/15.htm

If you want someone else to do it for you, most any marina will apply it for you in the spring. Check with whoever you decide to slip with and I'm sure they can handle it for you.

I have a 25 foot Wellcraft with no bottom paint. I leave it docked on the little salmon river from April untill October. When I pull it out at the end of the season I spray it down with Slimy grimy and pressure wash it. Takes about an hour and looks like new. Don't figure you could paint the bottom in an hour. Been working for me just fine.

Glen

Thanks for the replies guys. Happy Turkey Day!

Billy V, thanks for the link and info on types of paint.

Here's a pic. She's coming out to play in Spring 08.

P8190118.jpg

Will likely have it bottom painted when I pick it up. next Spring.

Looking for place to dock in Fairhaven/ Oswego area for the season, been checking for good rates around the area. Any suggestions?

Bill,

Yes there is growth on the bottom. The difference in performance and fuel economy is minimal. Top end would be 38 1/2 to 39 mph in the fall instead of 40 I get in the spring. Doesn't bottom paint do that? (creat drag or friction) I have read reports that claim it does but I can't say that from my own experience as I have never used bottom paint.

Glen

Glen,

If bottom paint creates any drag I've never noticed it. I've always had my boats bottm painted so I can't compare against going without paint.

Nice looking ride Cruccontroll! In Fair Haven you can check Shawn's Marina, Anchor Resort, Bayside Marina, and Fair Point Marina.

Have a nice Thanksgiving guys!

Yes, before the bottom is painted, you should really have it prepped and epoxy barrier coated first. Unlike the bottom paint, which has to be re-applied every year or two, the barrier coat is a one time deal. Adds a bit to the initial cost, but well worth the investment from what I can see.

I'm going to be doing the same myself in the spring. I had the Thompson in a slip unpainted this past season and the bottom is a wonderful tannic brown stain at the moment. I didn't get a chance to acid wash it before the weather went to crap, so I'll have to do that first thing in the spring.

Tim

We just touch up the paint where it's peeled off & worn thin each year and then re-paint as necesary. Hit the spots where it's come off with some light sandpaper & make sure you've gotten all the loose paint off before you touch it up & you should be all set.