Define:"small craft"

Hi, gang! I always wanted to know what the term"small craft." means, when Coast Guard or National Weather says that "There is a small craft advisory or warning on Lake Ontario." Thanks for any input. Steve.....................

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/faq.htm

Small Craft Advisory (SCA): An advisory issued by coastal and Great Lakes Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) for areas included in the Coastal Waters Forecast or Nearshore Marine Forecast (NSH) products. Thresholds governing the issuance of small craft advisories are specific to geographic areas. A Small Craft Advisory may also be issued when sea or lake ice exists that could be hazardous to small boats. There is no precise definition of a small craft. Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft. Other considerations include the experience of the vessel operator, and the type, overall size, and seaworthiness of the vessel.

I believe the Coast Guard use to designate any vessel under 65 ft as a small craft. I did a little searching and found references to that but no hard documentation. maybe it has changed? It was a while ago that I read that.

Spike

That is what I was taught as well but the specific length seems to have changed over time, based on info from the earlier posts.

I remember Dennis Daniels telling us in our Captains Class that it meant 100' or smaller. That being said if they are over 6', and most times 5', you wont catch us out there. Not worth it, beating your gear up, or your life.

We've gone out when it was 2' predicted only to find 5'era at the pier head. I recommend using common sense. If it looks dangerous it probably is. Boat size wont matter if you capsize. Its not just boat size its also experience. Typically though if they took the time to put out a warning that's a good day to sleep in. Just my opinion though...I could be wrong....

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Didn't know I'd open up a hornets nest here...LOL I agree with Shameless and Randy, been there and done that! No fish or recreational use is worth risking life for. I am impressed on the opinions expressed here-definitions. Thanx ! Steve.......................

The coast guard are pretty good at there advisors , as some times the wave hight isn't the problem it's how close the waves are to each other. They can predict that pretty good too!

I went out once in the afternoon when there was an advisory that was starting at five PM it was predicting six footers which in my boat no big deal at all, so I was ok to fish till five anyway. When the storm got there the waves were not over six but they were about four feet apart! Whoohooo that was fun, but I was only out for about five minuts in it as I was getting off the lake already.

Now I did not figure the problem 45 mph wind gusts would give me loading my boat on the trailer! It's been a while since I laughed that hard. :o

If a boat the size of a 18 foot Starcraft had got caught in that storm it would have went to the bottom because the waves would have rolled right into the stern when the bow was up.