Great bowhunt 2012...UPDATE below pics..

Tank

After having a shooter within 40 yards (no shot) on Saturday night and deer all over me I couldn't wait to get in the stand Sunday morning and the Lord's day did not disappoint. At 8am I had a small buck interacting with a female fawn that for all intents and purposes seemed to be in estrus. They would use my area as their playground for about an hour until the buck got a litttle too far to my left and winded me. No big deal but I did contemplate killing him at one point as the whole family was up with me and the kids wanted to see a buck down. Any way after battling frigid temps for the next hour I also contemplated leaving but opted to stand up and stretch to keep warm. Not 5 minutes after I stood up I see a beautiful buck to my right about 120 yards on an angle towards the thick stuff 50 yards in front of me. He approached my area and I could see he wasn't coming in so I let out two solid grunts with my Primos buck roar, followed by an estrus doe call (the can). He angled in front of me and walked east, I let out two more grunts and he started to walk away so I quickly snort weezed at him. For the next ten minutes he would RAKE every sappling he could find within 50 yards of my stand with no shots but working his way closer to me the whole time. As luck would have it a 2.5 yr old 8 showed up to the east and came on a little quicker line to me out to 30 yards. That was all my buck needed as he followed the smaller 8 down to an apple tree 30 yards from my stand. They both turned back east and that was my opportunity. Just before he cleared the apple tree I drew my bow and had a 7 foot natural opening which he was nearing the end of as I reached full draw. I let out a loud "maaa" and he came to a dead stop as I settled my 30 yard pin on him. I released the arrow and could see the double lung hit. He bolted and crashed out of the area. I tracked him with light snow on the ground which was helpful and fun. The rest is history and I would take my biggest bow buck to date. My kids were psyched and participated in all aspects of the aftermath once I got him back to camp (too many to take into the field and it was very cold today in Prattsburgh). Here's some pics. Good hunting and thanks for looking. Tank

IMG-20121104-00334.jpg

IMG-20121104-00332.jpg

IMG-20121104-00348.jpg

IMG-20121104-00350.jpg

IMG-20121104-00345.jpg

I thought I would share this.....Last Saturday the 3rd I set up my brand new Plotwatcher Pro game surveilance system (seen it?). Well per the above I shot this buck on Sunday the 4th at 9:30 am. I left the Plotwatcher out for the week I was gone and ran up to Camp this past Saturday to pull the SD card and move the camera into my shotgun stand area. When I reviewed the footage it showed me leaving the camera at 12:05pm on Saturday the 3rd. By 12:54 guess who was on it..yep..the BUCK I shot the next day! He spent 2.5 hours in front of the camera from 12:54 until around 3:30. He freshened a scrape, put his sent on many overhanging branches and raked a bunch of trees as well as bedded in view of the camera for about 2 hrs. There may very well have been a doe out of sight of the camera that he was with but I am not sure. it was amazing to watch him in time lapse especially AFTER shooting him! Over the 7.5 days the camera was out I captured two fleeting shots of running deer, two large groups of does and fawns, several individual deer including does, bucks and even another shooter! This camera is awesome in my opinion and relatively economical..just under $300.00 for camera and 4 accessories I purchased with it (lock box, python lock and 2 SD cards). It only operates during daylight hours and you can set the images to be taken from every one second to every 60 minutes. I realize now what a hot midday stand site this location will be now as multiple bucks were captured in images between 12:30 and 1:30pm. 8 aa batteries are supposed to last for 4 months and from what I have seen now they will. The software it comes with is sick and very easy to install and use! Dont be confused with the plotwatcher as it is an earlier version and they made multiple improvements with the PRO version. If you havent seen it check it out. I have no affiliation with the company "Day 6 Outdoors" who makes it but I do plan on sending them an email telling them how awesome I find their product. Tank