Gunnel Lighting

Adk1

I need to look into some lightening for the back interior of my 91 221V Islander. Curious to know what others have used. Was thinking about the LED rope style lighting, but dont know how they work. seems like they would be ideal.

LED is best, less power drain, and you can get colors!...make sure the string is "hermetically" sealed so no weather or contaminants can permeate the electronics. I have some red and blue mixed together to make a soft purple glow. Kinda nice for show and mood at the dock...or way out fishing..uhhhhh..deep at night with yer special mate...uhhhh tackle box on the deck.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

LED is great, but like the poser before said make sure it's sealed to the elements. But one other thing the proper install will need a "driver" to regulate the 12 v it's getting. Hitting LEDs with high or lov voltage shortens there life considerably . But they are the greatest lights there are. I have replaced all my lighting with LEDs. My cabin is brighter than day with them on.

Same as my buddy's Islander. He wired his direct, threw in an inline fuse holder and mounted a push-button toggle switch by the side pockets. The most you'll have this way is a few wire connectors, switch and a short length of wire(to tie into the hot and ground). Personally I would run it back to the dash, but like they say there's more than one way to skin a cat.

• 2 months later...

The Guy I bought my 221V from just glued two push on Led lights to a thin peice of wood and then put it through the straps on the canopy. They work great and you just need to change the bateries at the start of the season. Lights up the aft real nice at night. I will post some pics in the spring when I un-tuck my baby!

We are using Lumitec LEDs. We've added more since this pic.

IMG_20120619_214637.jpg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The only thing the "YANK" needs now is a disco ball to really screw with you when he goes bye in the dark. Twin big blocks and a strange blue glow..... UFO all day.

Good luck on BOQ Rich, lots of Pics

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same question, how are the bugs with the blue lights? How do you mount the Coastal light strips? I read one post that used double sided tape. Can you screw them in?

Thanks

GG

I use the battery powered LED lights that stick on so I can place them wherever I wish along the sides and they don't have any impact on my boat batteries. I have the regular wired courtesy lights under the gunnels that came with my Whaler too but I seldom use them. I haven't night fished for quite a while so for the limited use I give them now e.g. early AM's they work fine and  are less than $10 each in RV sections of stores. LED's are easy on batteries too.

Bluewater Led. Installed the basic package with a few separate for space lighting. White for needed light when fishing late or early and blue when running. Mounted two strips under gunnels and dash hooked up to switches. Awesome look. Customer service was great. Lifetime warranty. Fitted the whole boat for hundred bucks.

Bluewater Led. Installed the basic package with a few separate for space lighting. White for needed light when fishing late or early and blue when running. Mounted two strips under gunnels and dash hooked up to switches. Awesome look. Customer service was great. Lifetime warranty. Fitted the whole boat for hundred bucks.

Just checked them out. look good. Did you get strips? Curious as to which items you purchased..Any pics of your final product would be appreciated

Adk1, yes they come in strips for the gunnel lights and also came with the waterproof led for live wells that i actually mounted in my dash and in the back to use for a glow stick on my spoons.  I purchased the standard boat package and some toggle switches from them.  If you type in HAWG for the discount code you get a % discount, cant remember how much 5% or so.  Ive got some pics just have to download them.  One is the white and the other is the blue. Mounted them on a plastice strip and screwd that to the underside aluminum rail.  Worked out pretty good.

post-150509-0-12331700-1369321661_thumb.jpg

post-150509-0-25838300-1369321674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frogger