Correct Propellar Pitch

Adk1

I need to pick up a second prop for my 1991 221V Islander. She has the 4.3L V6 in her. The prop on her right now has a few dings in it and I cant seem to find any numbers on it. She seems to run ok, gets up on plane. Would like that to be alitle faster if possible..Any idea what the standard pitch would be for my rig? Should I consider a 4 blade prop since I have to get one anyways? I will only get aluminum

Is it a mercruiser prop? There is a place in Clayton NY called the Prop Shop that reconditions props. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a new prop. I have a few OMC (Johnson and OMC) props I could sell you for cheap. One would need to be reconditioned the other isn't too bad.

Your propeller is goverend by your rpm, with the right prop you can just reach redline "reasonably" . That said its a general rule if you can hit redline to fast your under propped if it takes forever to get to redline your over propped.

So just wanting a bigger prop is wrong thinking, you want the most prop your motor/ rig will take as weight of boat and so on will effect the whole thing.

If your boat takes off and gets up on plane in a reasonable amount of time (on a calm day with no wind) and you can open it up and get up to redline and have just a lttle more in her to go, then dont fix what isn't broke. Stick with the size and pitch of the prop you have. Your cruising throttle will be about 2k less than redline, and it should stay on plane easy there.

I would start with mesuring the prop, which should be about 14 to 15 inches probably about 14.5 inches, you will probably need either a 17 pitch, for a starting point. Try to borrow one just for testing befor you buy one to figure out what size you need. It makes a huge difference on how your boat will work.

Most prop shops will charge more than an aluminum prop will cost to fix one, but he can tell you what size you have and thats huge for starting out.

well, I am definatly getting a second prop to leave in the boat that is for sure. I guess I will have to wait till spring when I get her out to check the RPMs

Adk1,

I matched up the numbers on the prop of my 95 Starcraft Islander 221v 4.3l and replaced it with a new mercury prop part number 48832830A45, BLKMX 14 1/2 R1 from local dealer. I've used it for past few years with no problems. I'm not sure if 1991 would be any different then 1995, but I found that the cost of reconditioning wasn't all that different from purchasing new especially if you have damage to more then one blade. good luck.

Jay

• 6 months later...

With a single operator aboard and half a tank of fuel, your engine will redline out at full throttle, and you have the right propeller chosen.

The four blade propeller is for more power at low RPMs. Top end speed is lost but hole shots are faster as for waterski stuff.