favorit pike rod and reel

Fisherman -

I'm a believer that picking out a rod is as much a personal preference thing as it is a technically functional thing. I know guys that hate long rods and refuse to use them and I also know guys that won't use a rod under 8'6 and they are both throwing the same baits!

One thing that I like across all my rods is a fast or extra fast action. I find my hooksets to be MUCH better with those faster rods and I can get better action on my lures. I personally carry a 7'6 St. Croix Legend Touranment and an 8'6 LT (Big Dawg model) and feel that I can throw just about any bait I need to with relative ease. Again, I think this is more of a personal preference thing for me. With your budget you could get one or two St. Croix rods (depending on the model) or you could get two rods from Tackle Industries that I also like.

Ronix - do you own any Tackle Industries rods still? I know you use to in the past as I remember using them on your boat and really liked them.

Cheers :beer: ,

Chad

Fisherman72: I figured I would add a little to what Chad said. You mentioned in your latest comment that you would prefer a spinning outfit.

When I started pike fishing, I was using a 6'6" Berkley lightning rod with a pflueger president spinning reel. It had 20lb braid with a 6" steel leader.

As my lures got bigger, I upgraded to a stiffer ugly stick (I think it was a 6' heavy rod with reinforced guides) and a bigger pflueger reel. I had 50lb braid on this reel with a 50lb flouro leader. I really liked this setup, but never felt that the rod was stiff enough. It would do the job, but I felt that it would flex too much when I was jerking a bait.

My next step was to a pete maina rod/reel setup (baitcaster - 6'6" rod and 5.2:1 reel). It took me a couple trips to feel comfortable with using a baitcaster, but I caught on quickly and never looked back. The baits were easier to work and also gave me the opportunity to use even larger baits.

Today my shortest rod in the boat is 7'2". I am expecting to retire this rod soon and be at a minimum 7'6". I use the baitcaster for almost every lure I am throwing (with the exception of tossing around smaller sized bucktails where I will use the old Berkley lightning rod setup).

So...it is tough for me to recommend a spinning setup. I know people that use catfish rods for the extra stiffness, but I just never went that route.

Hope that history helps a little...

--Joe

as these guys mentioned, bait casting gear has a lot of benefits compared to spinning gear. but that being said, you can still get a nice spinning set up as well for that kind of money.

Both shimano and Rollie and Helen's have a spinning rod in their musky line-ups. Shimano's is 7'0 MH and H I believe and im not quite sure of the RH model but know they have one.

As for reels, any shimano 4000 series would suffice...i only say shimano because thats all I really ever had experience with.

Chad I do not have any more TI rods I converted entirely to the american-made rods but those TI rods were incredible especially for their price.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugly stick 8,6 heavy with pflueger president and 30 lb pp braid for lighter gear casting. 6,6 shimano compre heavy with shimano calcutta 400 te with 80 to 100 lb braid for big lures and big pike. I use barbless hooks for pike so i need a setup that keeps the tension on. i caught my biggest this spring 44' and well over 20 lbs on this second setup with a 10' doble jointed storm lure

Good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Would have to agree with everyone recommending baitcasters...but I do own one spinning setup that I like for smaller tackle, mainly spoons casting on season opener. I have a Abu Garcia Cardinal (706 I think) saltwater spinning reel paired up with an Ugly Stick Tiger ML saltwater rod. The rod is a bit whippy and fast action for big fish but is great for casting light baits. The reel itself is great and would recommend it. I believe I got it from overstockbait.com for $40 2 years ago, but a great reel for higher # tests. Casts well, smooth retrieve, decent drag and is fairly easy to service yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Spinning gear for esox isn't my thing; but I like to talk pike set ups. I'm cheap too. Don't spend too much. In any event, when I go out for Northern, I like to have a 6'6" baitcaster for lines 8-20 lb. with 14 lb. mono on an Abu Garcia 5500C3. I use this to throw 1 oz. spoons, Mepps Muskie Killers, etc. I also take a 6' baitcaster for lines 15-25 lb. with 20 lb. mono on a Abu Garcia 6500c3. I wish this rod was 6'6", but it isn't. I make do. This handles larger spoons over 1 oz., 6" Depthraiders, 6" Believers, etc. Finally to throw the Mepps Giant Killer I must have a 6'6" Gander Mountain Muskie rod for lines 15-30 lb. This holds a Shimano muskie reel and 65 lb. Power Pro.

love baitcasting!!!I to started with spinning gear way back when and have switched entirely to baitcasting gear for esox.Presently i`m using a gander mtn im8 8'for pike with an h2o extreme reel.I also use my heavier muskie stuff for pike as well,those oufits are an 8'6"tooth tamer all purpose(really nice rod) with a st croix avid ac300a spooled with 65#sufix braid and a 9'TI xxh with a shimano corvaulus cvl 4oo reel spooled with 80# cortland masterbraid.9' st croix bignasty rod as a backup(nice rod but a shorter butt which i do not like).All my rods have long butts,they are much easier to control and less fatigueing.The toothtamer and gander rods handle the mid sized stuff pretty good.

sol

• 2 months later...

I have posted in the classifieds a set of 4 SHIMANO BM50 REELS. These have been discontinued for about 20 years but were considered the best musky reel for csting or trolling. I posted them last week along with 8 DIAWA MILLIONAIRE II REELS for my friend. it is titled "SHIMANO/DIAWA CASTING/TROLLING REELS"