Tracking Dogs????

JakeyBaby

On the evening of Nov. 9th i shot what would by far be the biggest buck of my life!! We trackd the buck for about 200yrds with lots of bright red blood! Then it slowly vanished on us. Backed out for the night and trying again in the morning. Was wondering if anybody happend to know a # to get ahold of tracking dogs? If so i would appreciate it more then you would ever know! Its going to be the longest night of my life!!

P.S. heard a pack of coyotes howling in the distance, hope i can find it before they do

Thanks Alot

Matt

Thanks for the help to all! I looked firday night 6hrs, saturday for about 5hours and again today for another 3hours today and never found the Monster buck that i truely feel expired! It has been the longest weekend of my life, and i am truely sick over what has happend!! Who knows maybe he lives to chase another doe? I sure hope so given the fact that i was unable to get the job done like i should have when the oppertunity was presented! My wife is ready to kill me because the fact of how miserable i have been since friday night when i was unable to recover this monster! Good luck to everyone and make sure your shot is true because i promise you, you dont want feel the way i do right now, it hurts deeply!

Jakey Baby

-Matt-

I feel your pain, I shot this 12 point monster with a shotgun, Went back 4 hours later that night found him barely alive, He gets up and stumbled off deeper in the woods, So i let him go and figured i'd find him in the morning, It snowed a foot overnight, I looked for that deer for a week and never found him, I did'nt hunt for the rest of the season. A guy i know found him after season while trapping beavers, He hung the antlers on his garage, That made me sick everytime i drove by and seen them.

damn man that sucks! joe called me and told me about this! sucks to hear. he didn't mention u were looking for a dog i know someone who lives by me that does it. could of gave you his number! where do think you hit him? what is the buck?

Watching the Outdoor Channel lately, I have been shocked at the lost deer some of the shows portrait with seemingly great looking archery shots. Later, they show up on trail-cam pictures with a scar hole in their hide and they look fine! Tough animal. Put up some trail cameras near his bedroom and see if he still walks.......it might cure what ails'-ya.

I used this gentleman(Yax, Robert [[email protected]]) from the Honeoye area and his dog "Thor" a little dauschound about the size of a small cat. Could not believe where this dog took us and really thought it was a big waste of time. Thats what I was thinking until he came upon a pool of blood where my deer had bedded down. That spot was over 800yds from where we lost the bllod trail and this little dog followed a scent line right to it. At that point we figured the deer had gone over a mile. Never found the deer, but I am pretty sure that I saw it again and no worse for wear. I forgot to mention, Thor is only 6 months old.

Deer Search Inc. 585-935-5220

We have all been there ! Get back out there and get in the tree!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

:yes::yes: you got it. Get back in a tree. sounds like a flesh wound, lots of bright blood for a while then nuttin. Sounds like you exhausted all options short of dogs but its raining here tonight and hard.

Where did the arrow hit? leg forward? skim the bottom?

bright red blood looks really good on the ground but could mean a marginal hit.

this does suck though..better luck to you the rest of the season :beer:

Searched for one more hour today with no success! At least I can say I put in as much as possable to TRY and recover this Monster.I honesly did not see were my arrow maid contact! ;( But when i let it fly i heard the biggest CRACK sound i have ever heard! More than likely some sort of bone. I know my arrow went all the way threw the deer because were I had last blood it looked like he stop and was standing there and there was a spot of blood about 5-6in dia. on each side of him. My arrow did not break and was coverd in blood form tip to tip when he finally droped it about 80yrds from were i shot him. If it was a shoulder hit i would think it would have broken and def would not have maid threw him. Not sure all what happend, I just hope it doest happen again and I am going to make sure I know were I hit whenever it is i get the chance. I am finally growing a set and am going to get back out there tomarrow and try to get one down before the guns start blazing!

Jakey Baby

Matt

Matt,

Hate to hear your story. Losing any deer sucks but the big racked ones tend to sting a little more. Last season i got to experience this twice. The first time was with my father in law mid way through the season, who at 60+ years old, finally shoots a p&y buck. We search all day after the blood trail went dry in a corn field. My father in law spent a couple of days with no luck. That was the first time i had unsuccesfully tracked a wounded deer. The last week or regular bow season i shoot a decent 8 pt (100"+). My ideal shot i missed 28 yards. He gave me a second shot at 35 yards and i hit him in the shoulder. It sounded like breaking 2x4s with a bat. Incredible blood trail dried up after only 60 yards and no arrow. My father in law help me that day and got to witness me suffer. It was like dejavu. I shot the deer on a monday morning on the last week of the season. I spent 2 days wallowing over the loss. It was like an exgirlfriend but only worse. On thurs i went back into the woods and witnessed 3 bucks chasing a single doe the entire morning. I shot a 1.5 year old 7pt (which was part of that group) to cap off the day and add to the incredible morning to be in the woods. Truth is you just need to get back in the woods and chaulk it up as another hunting lesson learned.

Matt,

Truth is you just need to get back in the woods and chaulk it up as another hunting lesson learned.

Well said :yes:

Sorry to hear your story! The more you think about it the longer it stings and it sounds like you gave it your all to try and recover the buck, so getting back in the woods should be good therapy. Good luck the rest of the season :yes:

Shawn

I think that the fact that you had a pass through, but did not find him is a good sign that he still is alive. If any vitals were hit you would have found him. As long as he wasn't gut hit you may very well see him again. You could have hit him in many places to have a pass through and not killed him. Get out there n go get him. Good luck!

Jakey...on the lam is right about some pass throughs not killing the buck.But if you are still hunting that same area, keep your eyes and ears open.Crows and ravens could lead you to your buck if he did die. Also hang around that area after dark and listen for those coyotes...they WILL find him if he died and their howls could lead you to him too.At least you get the rack.I'm sure you checked any water, creek, stream, pond, swamps, puddles etc. in that area...they often are found in or along water after being wounded.....good luck