Fishing in Jamaica

gbill512

I'm going to Negril on the western tip last week of January. Charter report from there is that "winter fishing" is mostly wahoo and tuna with an occasional marlin. Haven't made any arrangements yet, planning to gather information when I arrive on the 23rd. Hope we both do well!

My experience fishing in a foreign country has not been good. You should expect them to stop the boat in the middle of the ocean and ask for a tip. Also keep an eye on the back of the boat, I was out on a slower day and they took a fish out of the cooler, hooked it on a line and let it out while trying to keep our attention on the front of the boat.

Which part? Giving a tip before you start fishing or reeling in a fish from the livewell. Lol. Fishing Jamaica sounds like the next episode of locked up abroad. Seriously though I'd be certain of who I was dealing with. Jamaica has one of the largest crime rates in the world. I hear the resorts are top notch but you don't want to wander out of rhem

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We where in the Negril area of Jamaica last April. Researched fishing before I got there and asked the the place we stayed. Even the place we stayed at was honest to say the fishing is not great. They said you may catch something but most times it will be an expensive boat ride. Apparently being one of the more established fisheries in the Caribean they have over fished it and had no regualtions. Regulations now are not enforced well. Its really too bad but we saved our money for another place and time as I was taking relatives with me and only want to treat them to a positive experience. We did do some excellent snorkeling in the many reefs with lots of beautiful and colourful tropical fish.