So here goes my plan for fishing tommorow........need motor

Kuba

So i charged the batteries to full and decided to turn over the engine, turned the key for one second -fine, turned it second time and the starter is spinning loose, its a 2008 merc 2 stroke 50hp that has only around 50hrs on it.

Removed the cover to flywheel and i can see that starter is not coming up when turning the key- its not engaging. Is there a quick fix for that? Or do i have to get a new starter??? I am new to marine stuff but quite handy with tools.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Spinning inertia causes the bendix gear to raise up and engage the flywheel. Could be it's sticking down due to colder temps. Spray a little WD-40 on the shaft and try to raise it manually. The shaft has a spiral type spline, so it will twist as you raise it. I've seen folks grease the splines, and then when it gets cold, they cease to work.

Will do , my boat is garage kept, though its not heated. I did move it with a finger and it seemed loose. Will give it a shot when i come home

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Have had this problem twice with my 2001 60hp merc. 1st time it was getting low voltage because cables were dirty at battery terminals. Cleaned them up and was good. 2nd time was just this past season, plenty of voltage but was still sticking. Hit the shaft of the bendix with a tiny spray of wd40 and its been engaging immediately ever since. My motor is very clean so it must have just taken a tiny bit of buildup to allow it to stick. The day the problem started I was able to start up with emergency pullstart and then Figd out if I tapped the bendix with a pair of pliers it knocked it loose enough to engage a couple times. It been since June so it seems the wd40 was a permanent fix.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

well, it was the cables... i removed the battery, took a wire brush and some elbow grease to the posts on the battery and to the terminals at the end of cables and it works like a charm. Silly me, why didn't i think of that before?

Guys, my bows to you all for trying to help. I didn't go fishing as an opportunity came up at work and i took it. Most likely there will be no more days like today this year. Today we had 16+, tommorow we are expecting 2+ and some snow :)

Thanks!

Daniel.