Keuka KEUKA THANKSGIVING DAY..........or 5 MPH SSE winds my a$$

Anyhow went to Keuka Lake, AFTER my partner decided to go deer hunting and canceling a Cayuga Lake adventure, left Horseheads @ 6:10, made it to Keuka State Park @ 7:10, figured I would go to a lake I'm familiar with AND with the weatherman's promise :dull: ( only job I know where you can be WRONG 100% percent of the time & still have a job) :wondering: of winds gradually coming up to 5 MPH throughout the day I figured I could get some jigging in :yes: figuring this would be my last trip out this year, .......nope :no: I have been on this lake with 11 MPH + winds & today was worst than that !, only 1 other pilgrim out this morning, "back troller", name on his boat, he said his "weatherman" said 6 MPH winds, let him launch first, see how he made out with a South wind blowing up the launch, just him & his dog, he did alright, & I launched after he left...........another first for me........wave action will loosen a "knot" on a cleat 8) ......by the time I parked my truck, my boat was "beached" sideways in the launch :o >sigh<, of course the "calm", grumble, grumble, grumble South winds are now forming white caps :@ , got her straightened out & despite HUGE urges to trailer her, I did get out.........took a beating, took 2 lakers using only 1 wire rod/ dipsey, all I could get out alone,(my boat is LOOSE !) usual magnum Dipsey set on @ #2 setting green glo frog racer Spin Doctor being chased by a Reel-Hooked Up fly set back 300', FF lit up from 107'- 137', did get 1 photo in between swells of FF screen
100_7111.jpg

the other "pilgrim" & I were both on our trailers by 9:30
let's see, up early, fresh air, turkey filled with tryptophan, yeah I should sleep easy tonight ;) Hope EVERY BODY had a HAPPY & SAFE THANKSGIVING :yes:

Self untying knot at the launch ramp sounds scarry! At least your boat didn't drift out on the lake! I watched that happen to a fellow. I'm new to this motor boat thing (lotsa time on a sailboat though) and have had a few mishaps like forgetting the plug, problems backing the trailer on uneven ground and not being able to see the ramp/dock and more :$ Getting better at it though! Wish DEC would have better launches/docks.

At least you caught some trout!

How far back was your spin doctor from the dipsy? Distance from spindoctor to fly? Unless that is top secret clearance stuff ;)

Self untying knot at the launch ramp sounds scarry! At least your boat didn't drift out on the lake! I watched that happen to a fellow. I'm new to this motor boat thing (lotsa time on a sailboat though) and have had a few mishaps like forgetting the plug, problems backing the trailer on uneven ground and not being able to see the ramp/dock and more :$ Getting better at it though! Wish DEC would have better launches/docks.

At least you caught some trout!

How far back was your spin doctor from the dipsy? Distance from spindoctor to fly? Unless that is top secret clearance stuff ;)

Well, like I told you when you first asked me this question :wondering: "my layout" goes by the length of my pole, for netting purposes ;), lets start with the "tournament tie" fly leader http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/videos/video2F.html that is attached to the Spin Doctor, then the distance from the Spin Doctor to the Dipsey is what ever the distance that is left to the tip of my pole 8)

marty.

on your fly i was wondering, how many beads to do you use? what color beads do you use? also at the top of the fly how many times did you wrap the thread around material to complete the fly.

:rofl: Jason on "MY" flies I use 3 beads in between the two hooks, I built a lot with glow or 1 glow & 2 the color of the fly, THEN I like to use a red faceted bead in between the front hook, which has a glass rattle in a vinyl tube, and the fly head, which is generally clear, I didn't find out they had colors till after I tied a bunch, I ALWAYS use a red thread to tie the "reversed" material, which gives the fly a "fuller" appearance, I lay a even thread base, unsure of the count on the wraps, I will count them the next time, to finish I use a clear lacquer..........2-3 coats........Hope this helps Jason........I will never understand why Mom liked you best :*

When I get done grilling you guys on trolling I'm gonna write a book :D Ya, right! This trolling thing is so foreign to me compared to flyfishing or bait fishing.

For me it is easy to think in terms of stream fishing for trout - I have a rough idea of where trout will be due to stream structure which is fairly simple most of the time. Trout during the forsythia bloom prefer hendrickson's on a particular stream. I need to fish a hendrickson nymph/emerger/dun/spinner. Each has a way of being fished in a particular stream condidion and time of day. Trout on another stream prefer purina flies because most of the time they are stockers and are use to trout chow. Trout on another stream have a varied diet at a certain time of year but I see caddis flys caught on spider webs today so I will try and imitate them. Imitate what they are eating and catch a trout. Pretty much formulaic? Much can be figured out by observation on all but the most difficult streams where local knowledge comes into play. Variables yes but manageable in my pea brain.

Fishing for lake trout - Locate fish in a lake using sonar to locate structure/fish which looks dicey to my unexperienced eye/brain. Dipsy, DR, leadcore, etc. which is the means of presentation but I am unfamiliar with both Lake Trout and the method. Then I look at the myrad of spoons/flies and wonder which one should be fished and how they should be presented. Add flashers and spindoctors etc. etc. and I sit here brain spinning.

Then I read and decipher what you guys are reporting and more questions pop up. Maybe I am making more of trolling than there is.

Just remember this Jack............ALL trout in ALL the streams will eat a beetle pattern splashed noisily on the surface near the bank ;), this trolling stuff ain't so different, just bigger tippets :lol: ..........by the way, you do not have permission to use my name or statements from me in a book 8)

I can see it now.... one of you guys is gonna follow me with a video camera on my first trip trolling on Hemlock Lake to film a comedy :rofl:

Jason, is the helmet something to do with trolling?