Best electric filet knife you have used???

DJ 17

I have owned numerous electric knives, and I am sick of the cheapos that just heat up and burnout. Anyone have a knife they would recommend? I use it for trout and panfish. I would think a salmon would beat it up in a hurry.

I prefer the Rapala corded model, but it does heat up when cleaning 150 perch. Hasn't burnt out the motor, though.

Ours does the same, not sure if the new ones are better but ours gets so hot its uncomfortable to hang onto.

Rapala Deluxe Cordless filet knife. Has 2 blades and extra battery. Charger.

I bought a cordless rapala filet knife half way through the summer, works great! Very sharp blades, and I have no problem when filleting big kings. I just wish I had bought it at the beginning of the season. Would've saved a lot of time fileting fish on the boat.

Jolly,

This may be a dumb question, but I will ask anyway. When you filet them on the boat do you have to leave the skin on so they can be identified? I thought I read somewhere you couldn't filet them totally. Even had a warden on Erie a couple years ago ask me out on the water if we had caught any walleyes and if they were fileted or not?

Thx,

DJ

From the DEC "General Regulations"

"Fish Cleaning Law

It is illegal on New York State waters to possess walleye, black bass, brook trout, lake trout or Atlantic salmon that have been cut, dismembered, filleted, skinned or otherwise altered so that the species and total length of such fish cannot be easily determined. However, these fish may be gilled or gutted. Other species of fish may be filleted provided that the skin is not removed from the fillets. This regulation allows more effective enforcement of harvest regulations on protected game fish."

Personally, I think this law is overkill and potentially causes way more aggravation than the good it accomplishes. The law is relatively new (10 yrs.?). I have proposed in writing getting rid of it. Nothing happens.

i take a trip to canada every year to fill the freezer with crappie, perch, and walleye. i have been using the mister twister knife for 7 years now with no problems. we usually fillet about 350 fish at a time, the knife gets pretty warm but never fails me.

I've been out with Jolly a numer of times. He guts them, removes the gills, gives them a rinse and puts them back in the cooler.

I keep meaning to do the same on our boat but never get around to it...

Dick and Bob, thanks for answering for me.

I agree with Dick on the issue. Probably most DEC officers would have trouble with identification if was just the skin. Heck, I could even screw that up, and I've been doing this since I was 4.

If I have a charter I do the whole fish on the lake, or if the lake is rough at the dock, and then run body parts back out in the lake, about a mile or so. In all honesty, I take the skin completely off. I'm not trying to get away with anything, and I always follow the law, either fishing for fun, or when with customers. But leaving the skin on a fillet, exposes the fillet to the slime on the skin, and in my opinion makes for poor quality fillets. Our charter costumers pay good money to go fishing, and I want their experience to be a positive one from the moment they step on the boat, to when they sit down at the dinner table to eat the all the fish with their friends and family.

My uncle always filleted his fish while out on the lake, and to abide by the law with leaving the skin on, he would leave about an inch of skin on the end of the fillet for identification. The rest would be taken off.

When fishing for fun we keep a few of the fish for eating, and my process is what Mortigan outlined above.

At home I have a plug Black and Decker electric knife that I bought about 20 years ago when I was in the Navy. That thing is still going strong without a hiccup.