Daiwa Saltist Line Counter reel- Any experience with them?

Sk8man

I'm looking at the Saltist LC (STTLW40LCA) for a wire rig and before laying out the $200 for it I thought I'd solicit any opinions from anyone out there who has used (or is using) them. I've already explored the Ocumas, other Daiwas, and Cabelas brands and have ended up here...

Thanks in advance for any information based on actual experience.

Thanks. The reason I am considering the 40 vs. 30 is that the 40 has a 47inch retrieve rate vs. 35 inch on the 30 and if I decide that it isn't what I want for the wire rig I could then use it for one of my Seth Green (thermocline rigs) on which I use 80 lb. stainless wire for the main lines (reason for such heavy wire is to avoid the wire getting caught in the roller guides and roller tips of the rods ....which happens with narrower diameter wire. I will be using the reel with a salt water all roller/tip rod so on the bigger rod the size of the reel isn't as important as if it were to be used on a standard downrigger rod for example. It sounds as though these reels have a great DRAG system that is highly adjustable and sensitive. I have 9 older Daiwa 47h's and 2 47 H line counters which have served me very well over the years.

I bought two 30 sized Saltists last year for my wires and used them the last few weeks of the season.

Honestly I liked the retrieve rate better than my Sealines, but I HATE the large line counter that digs into my wrist when I was reeling. I will use these for a full season in 2013 so maybe it's not a big deal, but I broke my wrist in 2011 and it seemed like the line counter was digging into my wrist and made it sore.

If it continues I will sell them.....

Just my two cents,

- Chris

The retrieve rate on the 30s will blow you away. I hear ya about doubling as a Seth Green rig, but honestly the 40 is overkill for divers. We've run them for 4 seasons now. We sold our downrigger and wire combos to get new ones (we like to cycle through our gear every few years). I hear the complaints about the line counter, and for some its very uncomfortable, but how I hold the rod it lays right in the crease of my wrist.

I had some buddies bring Tekota's on board when we went to Canada, and the slow retrieve drove me crazy! So, I stuck to my side where the Saltist were positioned. Once you get used to the speed you wont go back!

I bought four for my wire rods toward the end of the season and absolutely love the gear ratio! Down side was the position of the line counter but I hold slightly higher now. I was either gonna buy the Tekota's or Saltist's and heard a lot of people on here that didn't like the drag washers on the Tekota's, I'm glad I chose the Saltist's, and the drags are Awesome!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

They're awesome reels. I have 2...1 for a 300 copper and 1 for a rigger rod. Hopefully I can afford to switch all mine over in the future. You can really gain on a fish when he charges the boat! Makes copper a lot easier to deal with. Wish they made a couple bigger sizes. I have a Tekota for a 500 copper and I'm not that impressed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Ran two of the 40's during flea season this year with 40lb test Ande & a flouro leader. These reels hold plenty of the 40LB test & zero fleas.

They performed flawlessly on many Kings late July through September (several low 30 pounders in the mix). 2nd the 30 size for wire.

They come with the carbon fiber drag washers, so the drags are very similar to Tuna Tom's carbon fiber drag washer upgrade I had done on my Tekota 600LC's.

Longevity is the only part of the test of these reels still left on my plate.

Good Luck!