Torpedo wire tips

Gill-T

Anyone try Torpedo Diver's rotating wire line replacement tips? Newbies on my boat often get the wire caught between the housing and roller with my ugly stick diver rods and was considering an upgrade. Also, has Torpedo wire improved on some of it's early problems? Thanks. https://www.torpedodivers.com/scart/pro ... mNum=V0010

I ran the tips this past season on a pair of Talora rods, and I'm going back to Twili Tips next season. In our experience, we found that we needed to be really careful when putting the wire dipsys into the water. The Torpedo tips have two sections that are attached via a screw at the main roller. The first part has a mini line guide and the roller itself, which are in-line with the blank. The second, top part has a tip top that rotates 45 degrees right and left to accommodate quick runs near the boat and can also collapse 180 degrees. For example, when you store the rod with the swivel attached to a guide, the tip top is facing the reel.

We found that both rod and roller tip position were crucial when deploying the rig. When we deployed the Dipsy without making sure that the tip top was in line with the other guides on the rod and fully extended, the line wouldn't flow off the reel, and the force of the Dipsy as it entered the water combined with the 180 degree bend in the wire would cause it to break. We lost several rigs that way. If we paid really close attention I'm sure we could have avoided this issue, but none of us on the boat are newbies and we all decided that in the midst of chaos simplicity rules. Hence, back to twilis. In all fairness, this issue may be unavoidable, and may be associated with roller tips in general, so it's not a knock on Torpedo, although I can conceive of a design fix...

BTW, if anyone wants to try the Torpedos, I'll have a pair of them for sale cheap on here in a couple months ;)

• 3 years later...

I ran the tips this past season on a pair of Talora rods, and I'm going back to Twili Tips next season. In our experience, we found that we needed to be really careful when putting the wire dipsys into the water. The Torpedo tips have two sections that are attached via a screw at the main roller. The first part has a mini line guide and the roller itself, which are in-line with the blank. The second, top part has a tip top that rotates 45 degrees right and left to accommodate quick runs near the boat and can also collapse 180 degrees. For example, when you store the rod with the swivel attached to a guide, the tip top is facing the reel.

We found that both rod and roller tip position were crucial when deploying the rig. When we deployed the Dipsy without making sure that the tip top was in line with the other guides on the rod and fully extended, the line wouldn't flow off the reel, and the force of the Dipsy as it entered the water combined with the 180 degree bend in the wire would cause it to break. We lost several rigs that way. If we paid really close attention I'm sure we could have avoided this issue, but none of us on the boat are newbies and we all decided that in the midst of chaos simplicity rules. Hence, back to twilis. In all fairness, this issue may be unavoidable, and may be associated with roller tips in general, so it's not a knock on Torpedo, although I can conceive of a design fix...

BTW, if anyone wants to try the Torpedos, I'll have a pair of them for sale cheap on here in a couple months ;)

I am handicapped and use these for rod with heavy braid, fishing from a wheelchair I can't always face a fish if it makes a run left or right so the swivel helps. I will buy your used tips1 I am new to this site so how will you contact me? Not too wild about posting email on open blog - BSMITH8592

post-162016-0-13153600-1476217542_thumb.jpg