Two transducers?

Lobster

I just bought a new Lowrance HD7-Gen2 and am ready to install. I currently have a B&W Lowrance X-125 on the boat. I am thinking of leaving the X-125 on the boat for a second opinion and/or backup. Is it possible to mount two transducers next to each other on the transom or would they interfere with each other in sending and recieving signals? Thanks :(

I have 2 transducers on my boat and both are the same freq. they interfer constantly with each other. I am on the verge of pointing one into the sky to keep from competing with each other.

EDIT: just did some research and I can turn off the sonar on my one unit.

They have to be different frequencies (not just 50 vs 55 either but really different or you'll get interference because the units can't sort out where the signal "belongs". I installed a new depth finder this year but left the old transducer/speed impeller from my still working unit on the transom but I disconnected it (the depth finder) at the battery and the unit itself but it is still available as a "backup" if needed by just reconnecting it at both ends. The only thing you have to watch is the actual placement of the transducer on the transom because if too close and at certain angles the other transducer could interfere with the water flow over the new transducer messing up the surface readings (e.g. surface clutter....bigtime).

I just bought a new Lowrance HD7-Gen2 and am ready to install. I currently have a B&W Lowrance X-125 on the boat. I am thinking of leaving the X-125 on the boat for a second opinion and/or backup. Is it possible to mount two transducers next to each other on the transom or would they interfere with each other in sending and recieving signals? Thanks :(

If you want to keep two units on the boat I would upgrade the 125 to a HDS-5 then install a 83/200 and install a Ethernet cable between the 2 units so they can share data, they will share waypoints, GPS info, and Sonar, you can display 83 on one screen and 200 on another or any combination of the duel frequency. Or run a 50/200 to one unit and a 83/200 to the other unit then you can pick which one you want to view on either screen. Ethernet sharing provides maximum flexibility for 2 lowrance units you can really do alot with them.

I have an X-125 on the back of my boat. It's a 200kHz only unit and pretty much just serves as a back up unit. On the dash of the boat I've got a Hummingbird unit that is daul frequency 83/200kHz, if both units are running at the same time I have to have my Hummingbird showing the 83kHz picture only. Unfortunately it's still pinging a 200khz signal, and I get interference showing up on the X-125. I found trying to run both units at the same time limits what the Hummingbird can do, and I just leave the X-125 off.

I almost never run both units at once, my Hummingbird unit does everything I need it to and the only reason the X-125 is still on the boat is just for a back up. Otherwise I would have pulled it off and sold it.

If you want 2 units on the boat I would do what K Gonefishin suggested.

I keep both units on the boat mostly because I wanted a dedicated gps/chartplotter and a sonar. I can use my lowrance as both but my humminbird reads just as nice if not better than my lowrance. Not to mention my humminbird is a quad beam setup so I can see so much more beneath the boat.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I originally thought I would use just the X125 for fish finding and the HD7 for GPS/Chart. The hd7 is both 83 and 200 hz and has a much better handle on ground speed under 2 mph so I'm thinking removing the x125 and going solo with the hd7 is my best bet. Hopefully the paddle wheel water speed unit will still work with the HD-7. I think the adapter has the same pin arrangment as the HD-7. Thanks again for the ususal great responses form this site. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 transducers mounted side by side. My old units still work and sometimes the new units fail and the old back up units come into play. Also some units find perch better than the other ones and we go with them. In the pile in my basement are 3 X16 paper graphs and 4 other LCD screen guys also. Normal running is my GPS Chart Plotter and the Color Lowrance for walleyes and suspended fish. The spare units are a black and white Plotter and graph X85.